Job Title: Associate Service Editor
Reports to: Senior Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Portland, New York
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
The Associate Service Editor position is a vital support role, one that encompasses a wide array of job responsibilities and spans many sections of the site. The ideal candidate for this position has a broad knowledge of consumer tech -- from video games and smartphones, to laptops and virtual assistants -- as well as an understanding of SEO and how to best leverage it from a content perspective. Passion for consumer technology is a must, as is the ability to analyze historical data and trends to make informed, strategic decisions regarding resource allocation.
As the Associate Service Editor, you will help develop and maintain an extensive amount of evergreen content, namely buying guides, tutorials, and comparison pieces designed to inform our readers and buoy other content on the site. You’ll also occasionally write, update, and edit content as needed, while working with a large pool of freelancers to ensure best practices.
Applicants for this position must have a broad base of knowledge of consumer technology, as well as previous experience writing or managing guides or similar content.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain intermediate-level knowledge across a broad spectrum of consumer tech.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Optimize existing content to better serve both readers and search rankings.
- Standardize evergreen content with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Oversee and execute on new, time-sensitive content that pertains to breaking news.
- Write, update, and edit evergreen content in several key sections, when necessary.
- Research new topics -- specifically buying guides, tutorials, and comparison pieces -- that fall within our editorial purview.
- Work with outsourcing partners to foster positive relationships, improve copy, and ensure timely, accurate content.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- 1-3 years editorial experience required.
- Ability to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Experience writing or managing service guides or similar content.
- Acute knowledge of SEO, specifically as it applies to content.
- Experience working with web content management systems (Wordpress preferred), Microsoft Office or Google G Suite, and task management tools (Asana preferred).
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in an office environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive benefits package including:
- Individual and Family Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-term Disability
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) Program
- 401k plus employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Pre-tax Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Fun working environment! Our perks include:
- Free beer and kombucha on tap
- Free espresso
- Free drinks and healthy snack options
- Foosball & ping pong tables
- Big-screen TVs
- Bike racks
- In-office shower
- In-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews)
- Full kitchen and much more!
- Company paid annual Tri-Met commuter transit pass (PDX)
- Free membership to gym within building (PDX)
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.