Job Title: Computing Staff Writer
Reports to: Section Editor
FLSA: Hourly, Non-exempt, Full-Time
Location: New York City, NY
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
Staff Writers at this position at Digital Trends are passionate, knowledgeable professionals with a deep understanding of computing products and a love of consumer tech and gadgetry. The topics that this writer will cover include: Windows 10, laptops, PC hardware, monitors, gaming gear, Macs, Chromebooks, and other related computing topics.
This is a fast-paced job in a fast-paced industry: First and foremost, a staff writer either writes or helps coordinate the production of multiple news stories every day with our freelance staff, develops long-form features and articles, reviews products, and creates insightful opinion pieces to ensure Digital Trends’ place as a thought leader. Staff writers also ensure timely, comprehensive coverage of key products, including videos, how-to pieces, and more.
What You'll Do:
- Produce content every day including a mix of news, features, and product reviews.
- Attend and cover press events, conferences, and online briefings.
- Develop long-form features and articles and create insightful opinion pieces.
- Fact-check articles and aid in production in WordPress publishing platform.
- Identify opportunities for original long-form stories and execute accordingly.
- Understand and utilize SEO and data analytics to identify popular stories and product reviews.
- Script and shoot for both live and recorded video content.
What We Require:
- 1+ years’ of freelance or staff writing experience required.
- Broad knowledge of and interest in PC hardware, Laptops, Windows and Mac OS environments, and peripherals a necessity.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Excellent writing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting, informative, and entertaining.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred), Microsoft Office Suite, Slack, and Asana.
- Comfortable working with basic HTML.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- On-camera experience, photography/videography skills a plus.
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Fun working environment! Our perks include: free beer and wine on tap, free espresso, free drinks and snacks, big-screen TVs, full kitchen and much more!
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.