Job Title: VP of Engineering
Reports to Dan Gaul
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Digital Trends is the largest independent tech & innovation publisher in the world, super-serving a millennial audience, with offices in Portland, Oregon (HQ), New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and more. We cover anything and everything interesting in technology- from 4k & 8k TVs, racing drones, product launches & recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving and everything surrounding 5G. Our content spans from news, entertainment, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides real-time insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
It’s no secret that Digital Trends is obsessed with technology. We don’t just write about cool tech; we also create it. It takes a great product to deliver great content and it takes exceptional people to build tech that drives innovation.
As VP of Engineering at Digital Trends you will be responsible for leading and evolving high performance engineering teams. You will bring the wisdom and experience necessary to scale the company’s engineering capabilities to meet the demands of the business while maintaining operational excellence.
This role requires a solid understanding of software engineering processes and experience implementing them to maturity within an organization. This person will be able to identify inefficiencies and opportunities within an organization as well as align engineering teams to execute strategies effectively and efficiently.
The VP of Engineering is an essential role at Digital Trends that, just like our content, blends business and technology. As VP of Engineering, your contributions will inspire technological innovation and ensure Digital Trends consistently delivers high quality products.
What You'll Do:
- Work with the CTO to establish, execute, and achieve the company’s technical vision and scaling milestones to align with business objectives, user and advertiser experience, and revenue goals.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and optimize engineering processes to ensure for smooth and orderly delivery of engineering projects.
- Champion and ensure engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes for regular assessment and improvement.
- Align technical architecture, business strategy vision and long-term product priorities with cross-functional teams.
- Lead the engineering team in establishing documentation standards and processes to ensure that all engineering products are clearly and thoroughly documented.
- Scale, manage and mentor a team of engineers to ensure for range of relevant capabilities and levels of experience.
- Be responsible for owning your team’s deliverables and ensure they continue to ship scalable, reliable and highly available products.
- Cultivate skills and manage team performance, guiding individuals and the entire engineering organization in career progression, promotions, performance improvement, and hiring practices.
- Encourage a data-driven and continuous improvement culture to improve the efficiency, scalability, stability, and security.
What We Require:
- 3 years of director level or higher experience or 5 years+ in engineering management
- Experience managing big data and scalable web platforms in a mission critical environment
- Managing, mentoring and building talent pipelines
- Sense of ownership over the complete engineering process and department
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others
- Ability to work in an office environment, this position will be located in the Portland office
- Experience in Media and Publishing
- Proficiency in AWS
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Fun working environment! Our perks include: free beer and kombucha on tap, free espresso, free drinks and snacks, foosball table & ping pong table, big-screen TVs, bike racks, in-office shower, in-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews), full kitchen and much more!
- Company paid Tri-Met pass (PDX)
- Free membership to gym within building (PDX)
As an is an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.