Job Title: Freelance Evergreen Editor (Home Theater)
Job Type: Freelance
Digital Trends is seeking an evergreen editor with a passion for consumer tech and gadgetry, specifically within the Home Theater space. This is a part-time freelance gig, however, we'd like it to become a consistent, long-term working relationship if we're satisfied with your work.
Each week, you’ll manage updates to top-performing articles, extrapolate new story ideas from data, and work with a team of writers to executive a comprehensive strategy. We’re looking for someone who is a competent writer and editor, and is passionate about crafting thorough long-form pieces, educating readers, and enhancing the visibility of evergreen pieces within the A/V landscape. The ability to research and provide the best advice or product for every situation is a must, as is the ability to vet existing content.
As part of your job, you will also find and secure relevant images, video, and other media to draw readers into your posts and retain them. Your sources will include media from manufacturers, official press releases, stock photography, and more.
The ideal candidate already has experience writing and fact checking online, consistent time each day to write or edit several guides, and the desire to dive right into creating publishable content with minimal training. The ability to turn around airtight copy quickly and reliably while using excellent editorial judgment is crucial, as is a background covering a range of A/V equipment, including headphones, soundbars, 4K TVs, and the like. The right candidate is familiar with key players in the space -- Sonos, Roku, Apple, etc. -- as well as the hardware that drives a range of Home Theater devices.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain knowledge about best practices for search engine optimization without compromising editorial integrity.
- Standardize an evergreen process with repeatable benchmarks.
- Assign story ideas and collaborate with freelance writers.
- Help onboard new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write new stories and produce updates to top-performing articles.
- Edit and provide feedback on a variety of articles, namely buying guides and tutorials.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- Broad knowledge of and interest in the A/V landscape is a necessity.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- 1-2 years editorial experience required.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and provide feedback effectively.
- Superior time management skills.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred).
How To Apply:
Submit the following info:
- Your background, your areas of interest/experience in tech, and your availability.
- Resume with relevant tech writing or journalism experience.
- Writing samples: Send three published clips of your writing.
- Other relevant links: Add a link to your LinkedIn profile or online portfolio.
***Do not apply unless you have experience writing guides or similar content, have served in an editor capacity, and can write or edit several hours each weekday.