Job Title: Managing Editor, Microsites
Reports to: COO/CEO
FLSA: Salary / Exempt / Full-Time
Location: Portland, OR
About Designtechnica Corp.
Founded in 2002, Designtechnica Corp. publishes Digital Trends, Digital Trends en Español, and The Manual and touches over a hundred million people every month. Through a suite of marketing services and partnerships with some of the world’s largest companies, Designtechnica helps connect brands to consumers through premium, brand-safe content, live and on-demand videos, and events held across the country. Through offices in New York City, Portland, Los Angeles, Chicago, and more, and across all of our brands, we speak to a millennial audience about people, innovation, and the tech that’s changing their world.
Who We Are Looking For:
The Managing Editor juggles the work of all the Associate Editors and Freelancers to ensure a balanced and informative content strategy for a department dedicated to launching new sites. This role ensures there is the right balance of long-form features and articles and pointed opinion pieces to establish the new brands as a thought leader. The Managing Editor ensures data driven, timely, comprehensive coverage of key products, including reviews, how-to pieces, and more.
What You'll Do:
- Manage day-to-day operations of editorial resources and external freelancers.
- Maintain the front-page MEM
- Manage freelance budget to maximize content, guide editors in spending.
- Initiate and lead monthly editorial meetings and fortnightly growth meetings.
- Seek opportunities for promoting new sites through social media, events or other opportunities.
- Website traffic analysis: gather the data, tease out actionable information, report results to the editorial staff and freelancers.
- Ensure consistently high standards of excellence are met in reporting and editing.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Previous experience managing a section, preferably more than one.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (Wordpress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Comfortable working with HTML.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Photography/videography skills a plus.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in an office environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive benefits package including:
- Individual and Family Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-term Disability
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) Program
- 401k plus employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Pre-tax Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Fun working environment! Our perks include:
- Free beer and kombucha on tap
- Free espresso
- Free drinks and healthy snack options
- Foosball & ping pong tables
- Big-screen TVs
- Bike racks
- In-office shower
- In-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews)
- Full kitchen and much more!
- Company paid annual Tri-Met commuter transit pass (PDX)
- Free membership to gym within building (PDX)
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.