Job Title: News Editor
Reports to: Associate Managing Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: New York, NY
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
Digital Trends is seeking a scoop-hungry New York-based News Editor to manage our growing news department. The successful candidate will help shape news coverage for the most exciting tech publication around, and the largest independent premium technology publisher in the world.
At Digital Trends, we're both excited about and skeptical of the bright future promised by technology. Tech can be incredible, and change our lives, but we also want to help ensure our readers stay safe with the technology they use every day. This is a fantastic opportunity for an editor with a few years of experience, or even an experienced reporter looking to transition into editing.
The News Editor will ensure complete coverage of breaking product news, from the iPhone to Facebook and Tesla, as well as assigning and editing stories about how these products affect our readers and their daily lives. Our growing news team will be expected to increasingly break original stories that truly set the news agenda for the tech world, and the News Editor will be at the forefront of that.
This position offers freedom to someone who wants to be a key part of the Digital Trends newsroom. We want someone who will develop new processes to better our newsroom operations, have a keen eye for big stories, and experience working with writers to ensure all reporting is high quality and follows our best practices.
What You'll Do:
- Manage a team of full-time and freelance reporters.
- Ensure complete coverage of important products, along with issues surrounding social media and privacy, online security, and web culture.
- Act as a newshound for digital trends, monitoring what’s major and coming up with unique ideas for how to cover the stories of the day.
- Write and report breaking news stories and features.
- Ensure editorial standards are followed across all news stories.
- Appear in videos on Digital Trends Live (our daily live show) and national television.
What We Require:
- Reporting and writing experience.
- Experience editing in a breaking news environment.
- On-camera experience.
- Ability to work in an office environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- A keen eye for major stories and a thirst to break news first.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Adherence to deadlines and superior time management skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience covering tech.
- Contacts within the industries that we cover.
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Fun working environment! Our perks include: free beer and kombucha on tap, free espresso, free drinks and snacks, foosball table & ping pong table, big-screen TVs, bike racks, in-office shower, in-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews), full kitchen and much more!
As an is an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.