Job Title: Section Editor – Gaming
Reports to: Editor–in–Chief
FLSA: Salaried, Exempt, Full-time
Location: New York City
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
The section editor is the team leader at Digital Trends, shaping coverage in their topic area, hiring and managing writers, and ensuring deep and thorough reporting. As a thought leader in their field, the section editor writes opinion pieces and reviews, meets with key manufacturers on a regular basis, and maintains the most important relationships. Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of assigned section (computing, cars, etc.).
- Oversee every level of section production from freelance writers to staff writers and editors.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Standardize reviews with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key publishers and developers to ensure timely coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed product reviews, thoughtful analysis and pointed opinion pieces.
- Represent Digital Trends within assigned area of expertise on television, radio and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- Cover news events and conferences, traveling to events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (Wordpress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Basic photography/videography skills a plus.
- Broad knowledge of the current gaming landscape is a necessity.
What’s In It For You:
- Fun working environment and great location. Our perks include: free beer, wine and kombucha on tap, free espresso, free drinks and snacks, big-screen TVs, cool tech, kitchen and much more!
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.