Job Title: Head of People
Reports to: CEO
FLSA: Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Portland, OR or New York, NY
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
It’s no secret that Digital Trends is obsessed with technology. We don’t just write about cool tech, we also create it. It takes a great product to deliver great content but more, so it takes exceptional people behind the scenes to bring that to life for our audience. As the Head of People at Digital Trends you will be responsible for taking our current and future employees to the next level in line with our core values and brand. You will bring an innate understanding of where business objectives, market forces, and leveraging of Human Resources converge to create exposure to attract, hire, and retain the best talent at Digital Trends.
As the first Head of People at Digital Trends you will be adept at developing and training our leaders to understand their employees as well as their own contribution to our human capital success. You will co-create the Company’s internal brand, and work across the Company to effectively share a clear message of who we are, where we are going, why it’s important to us, the type of talent we want to attract, and the work environment we are creating.
The Head of People is an essential role at Digital Trends that will help ensure we provide our employees with a work environment that represents our core values. Your contributions will create a high-performing work environment that helps our employees thrive, while bringing focus to our mission of making technology accessible for everyone.
Fundamental to all your work at Digital Trends will be our core values:
Connected: We win together, we love together, and we share our ideas. We build meaningful relationships with our audience and partners.
Driven: We go above and beyond to craft an excellent experience. We generate quality work by empowering each other to jump in and innovate.
Fun: We are serious about work, but don’t take work too seriously. We foster a culture that encourages participation and involvement and create an environment that is fun and inclusive so that it will translate to our brand.
Approachable: We speak in a language that is accessible and understandable. We welcome new ideas, perspectives, and feedback with an open mind from all levels of expertise.
Authentic: We have the courage to be unique and genuine in an industry full of competing voices. We build trust by holding ourselves accountable and recognizing when mistakes have been made.
Passionate: We love what we do! We are whole-hearted in how we approach our coverage, from how it makes our lives easier to how it brings us together.
What You'll Do:
- Co-create our human capital strategy with the Executive Team ensuring it is in line with Company core values and long-term retention.
- Create a framework for human capital management with diversity and inclusion framework in mind that will allow Digital Trends to grow to represent our diverse reader and viewership.
- Define, execute, own, and monitor Digital Trends’ culture strategy in order to support Company goals while promoting employee satisfaction and engagement.
- Keep the CEO and Executive team aware of any Human Resource matters that would put us at risk of achieving company goals or any potential issues not being adequately addressed.
- Develop a framework for managing employee relations, including establishing employee-employer positive relationships, investigating employee complaints, counseling and feedback regarding performance, and employee separations; serve as the primary point of contact in regard to these activities for the Executive team.
- Develop and maintain training and coaching platforms to ensure world-class professional development of our employees.
- Provide the necessary education and materials to managers and/or employees through workshops, manuals, employee handbook, and reports.
- Improve employee recruitment process by reducing recruitment timeframe, increasing the pool of high-performing candidates, and ensuring a more diverse workforce.
- Lead company adherence to compliance with all governmental and state laws that Digital Trends does business in.
- Stay up to date on market research of compensation practices.
- Maintain compensation policies and oversee the variable pay systems including bonuses, commission and annual salary increases.
- Travel to other offices and locations (estimated around 10-15% of the time)
- And any other duties needed to help drive to our Vision, fulfill our Mission, and uphold our Values.
What We Require:
- 8+ years of years of progressive leadership experience in the People Ops or HR Talent profession.
- Hold a relevant degree or equivalent practical experience. Professional HR certification preferred (HRCI and SHRM equally accepted)
- Previous experience at a scaling company with highly effective Executive team.
- Demonstrated ability to challenge conventional approaches and in change management with a willingness to build a unique approach.
- Must be able to communicate at all levels in the company and to support business development and change.
- Able to travel to other offices.
- Current on contemporary hiring practices and regulations.
- Previous experience at a media or tech company is a plus.
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Fun working environment! Our perks include: free beer and kombucha on tap, free espresso, free drinks and snacks, foosball table & ping pong table, big-screen TVs, bike racks, in-office shower, in-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews), full kitchen and much more!
- Company paid Tri-Met pass (PDX)
- Free membership to gym within building (PDX)
Digital Trends is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage, value and honor diversity.