ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Sound Designer (NOC 52113) will be responsible for creating engaging and detailed sound design for various elements of the game, including sound design for levels, weapons, A.I., U.I., cinematics, animations, marketing and other gameplay events. This position will be part of the audio team. This incumbent will possess background in sound design for the video games industry, exceptional communication skills in written, visual and verbal forms, and excellent knowledge of the video game industry. Strong ability to take constructive criticism while selling your ideas is critical. Giving direction will be as important as taking it and you must be able to drive implementation of your ideas. We need a team player who values the best ideas regardless of where they come from to create a clear picture of how they fit in the larger vision of the game. An ideal candidate will also be able to provide examples of their design work and communication skills.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
Permanent and full time (40 hours per week).
LANGUAGE OF WORK
LOCATION OF WORK
250 York Street, Suite 100, London, Ontario N6A 6K2 Canada.
- Create engaging and detailed sound design for various elements of the game. This includes sound design for levels, weapons, A.I., U.I, cinematics, animations, marketing, and other gameplay events. Must be comfortable creating sound design under the direction of Senior Sound Designers and Audio Director.
- Implement sound design and other audio into the game engine. Ability to work with audio engine tools to achieve the desired audio outcome in game.
- Record Foley and gather field recordings for use in the video games.
- Record, design, and edit voices and voice overs for use in the video games.
- Find and fix audio related bugs.
- Maintain a familiarity with basic lua scripting as it pertains to game audio.
- Maintain an appropriate game audio mix at all times, on all platforms (PC, PS5, Xbox X, Switch).
- Maintain an audio program skill set with regards to current industry standards (Pro Tools, Reaper, plugins, etc.).
- Mentor other Sound Designers and be a self-starter.
- Continually improve the game audio engine, and work with audio programmer on new features and fixes.
- Possess an intermediate knowledge of audio recording and editing techniques.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in recording engineering, audiovisual technology or a related field.
- Minimum one year of recent and relevant work experience as a sound designer or similar role in the video game industry.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully creating engaging and detailed sound design for various elements of the game.
- Knowledge of audio recording and editing techniques.
- Experience in creating sound design with audio programs, such as Pro Bools, Reaper, Plugins, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent team work skills.
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas.
- Excellent knowledge of the video game industry.
- Be a driven individual who has a proven track record of delivering projects on time.
- Passion for world-class audio.
- A portfolio that demonstrates excellent sound design skills and above average ability to create sound design for a state of the art next-generation game engine.
The wage range for the Sound Designer position is between CAD $60,000 and CAD $80,000 per year, based on work experience and qualifications.
Digital Extremes provides a competitive benefits package, including the following:
- Extended healthcare.
- Two weeks of paid vacation per year.
- Discretionary profit sharing bonus, based on meeting the company’s financial targets and individual performance.
- RRSP matching plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click “Apply Now” below to begin the application process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Digital Extremes Ltd.
250 York Street, Suite 100
London, Ontario N6A 6K2 Canada
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 75 million registered players on PC, PS4™, PS5™, Xbox One™, Xbox Series X/S™, Nintendo Switch™, and iOS™. The studio's most recently announced project is the much anticipated Soulframe®, an open-world action-fantasy MMORPG title that is currently under development.
Digital Extremes is headquartered in London, Ontario, Canada, and is proud to be selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, achieving this recognition for the last ten years in a row.
For more information and exciting news related to Digital Extremes, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.