ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is seeking a Senior Character Artist to join our team. You will be joining a small team working on a demanding art project. You will be challenged to explore your creative and technical skills in an ever learning and changing environment. We are always evolving our work practices through technical updates and workflow techniques. With your excellent communication skills and understanding of efficient techniques for game production, traditional art background and experiences and a strong understanding of what it takes to create believable high quality looking humanoids and creatures you'll fit right in!
- Realize the overall artistic vision of characters based on designs, concepts and descriptions
- Design, model, and texture high quality 3D characters, paying close attention to anatomical proportions, physiology and overall geometry to work well with rigging and skin deformation
- Collaborate with Art and Design leads to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
- Work with Art Director and project Character Art Lead to combine ideas and methodologies of character production to create an efficient, streamlined pipeline
- Multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and follow through on details
- Support and mentor other Artists who are less experienced and require more direction
- 5+ years of experience creating characters for game development
- Professional experience with today's standards of software relating to character creation for triple A games (i.e., Maya or Max, Zbrush, Substance painter and Designer etc.)
- Knowledge of skinning\rigging constraints and optimization
- Ability to change art direction and iterate across projects with a variety of art styles
- An exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy with a keen eye towards form, structure, and silhouette and overall appeal
- Ability to commit to and deliver finished assets with tight deadlines
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills
- Willingness and aptitude to learn new techniques and best practices
- Have a genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games
- Familiar with Digital Extremes development history
- Previous experience working with a popular game engine i.e., Unreal or Unity
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™. Newer projects include the recently launched cross-platform MMORPG Wayfinder® (developed by Airship Syndicate & published by Digital Extremes), as well as the highly anticipated Soulframe®, an in-development open-world action-fantasy title.
Digital Extremes is headquartered in London, Ontario, Canada, and is proud to be selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, achieving this recognition for the last nine years in a row.
For more information and exciting news related to Digital Extremes, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.