Let’s face it, managing personal finances is hard. 70% of Americans struggle with at least one aspect of financial stability, 1 in 5 has no retirement savings, the average college student graduates with $37,000 in student loans, and the national credit card debt is over $1 trillion. At Digit, we’re building a smart financial assistant to help make financial health effortless for everyone.
We have a collaborative, diverse, and supportive culture and we look for people who are curious, ambitious, and mission-driven. If you're passionate about making an impact and helping real people every day we're excited to meet you!
We are looking for an experienced and Compliance Lead to help build out our Compliance department as we grow our products. In this role you will spot and shepherd risk across our entire organization. You’ll take existing policies and procedures and make them seamless. You’ll run trainings, tabletop exercises, and audits. You’ll help us continue our culture of compliance. This role reports to our Head of Legal.
What You’ll Do:
- Policies and Procedures: Create, update, implement broad compliance programs and initiatives (e.g. AML, InfoSec, Reg E, Fraud, etc.)
- Ongoing Compliance Obligations: We write policies and procedures, and then we implement them. We have established controls, but they’ll need to grow.
- RIA compliance support: We want to help people with long-term planning, so we are also an investment advisor. You’ll need to support that side of the business with stuff like implementing our code of ethics, updating and filing registrations, disclosures and reports (such as Form ADV, Forms U4, etc), monitoring transactions, training new employees, and reviewing advertisements. It’s ok if you’re not an expert in this; you’ll have help and time to learn.
- Compliance Advisory: You’ll need to provide the business with thoughtful, actionable, responsible guidance so that we can build products that (brace for it) INNOVATE while also staying true to our mission, our standards, and our compliance framework.
- Audit and Regulatory Examinations: Provide support to Senior Leadership, Operations, Finance, and all other departments in preparing for and executing responses for regulatory, bank partner and other external audits and examinations.
- Education, Training, and Promoting a Culture of Compliance: Develop, enhance, and deliver compliance-related training to all employees, including training specific to rules, regulations, standards, and resources, such as Annual AML & SEC Code of Ethics training.
Who You Are:
- Experience with compliance at a regulated company (4 years minimum) and know at least 4 of 7 things pretty well: (1) Bank Secrecy/Anti Money Laundering, (2) Investment Advisory work, (3) Reg E/Fraud/Disputes, (4) Privacy/GLBA, (5) UDAAP, (6) ESIGN, (7) Information Security/PCI.
- This role involves influencing across departments, so knowing how to build trust and be a problem-solver (and come across as a problem-solver) is critical.
- You’ve written and/or enforced compliance policies.
- You want to take ownership of Compliance (not just a small part of it).
- You care about financial health, as it’s the core of what we do.
- Organizational skills are paramount. A big part of the role will be building out and maintaining a system that non-compliance folk (developers, product managers, marketers, analysts, etc.) find easy to reference and use.
- You’re curious, like a cat. Maybe your friends even call you “Whiskers.” You hear about something you don’t know and you feel a need to learn it. You don’t need to know everything, but you will need to know how to use your resources (regulatory guidance, your network, Slack, journals, books, Bing, law firms) to find the answer to just about any question.
- You can take something complex and make it simple. You know how to pause, take a breath, and translate from compliance-speak (e.g., all those acronyms) to something the audience in front of you will grasp.
- Experience with payment systems (ACH, RTP, credit card networks).
- You’ve conducted company trainings and/or enjoy slides without a ton of long bullet points.
- You’ve been involved in an audit and/or preparing for one (e.g., with a bank partner).
- Experience with anti-fraud measures (ID verification, transaction monitoring, internal controls, Red Flags rules, anti-phishing).
- If you listen to any of the Compliance podcasts (e.g., Complycit, Fresh Laundering, On the Regs, OH FACTS!, Sanctioned, Business Ethics with Billy Madison, etc.), huge bonus. (None of those are real.)
Who We Are:
We want to eliminate the stress and anxiety people feel about their finances so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. We first mastered saving for people's near-term goals, helping our members automatically save $3.5 billion. Today, we are harnessing our groundbreaking machine learning and personalization technology to give our members an automated smart financial assistant to manage all of their personal finances.
We’re committed to doing the best work of our lives, together. Come see if we're the right team for you.
Digit is a proud equal opportunity employer and we believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce is an imperative. We welcome people of different backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, abilities, sexual orientations, and perspectives, just to name a few. We do not discriminate based upon any protected class and we encourage candidates of all identities and backgrounds to apply. Digit considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Digit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.