Digit is the smartest way for anyone to prepare financially for life's needs, wants, surprises and dreams, without changing their daily behavior. This is important because managing personal finances is hard. 65% of Americans couldn’t come up with $2,000 in the event of an emergency. National credit card debt is at a record high of over $1 trillion. Our mission is to make financial health effortless for everyone.
We are looking for an user-focused and pragmatic Head of Legal. Your charter is to define, build, and run the Legal function at Digit. As the first in-house counsel, you will initially both dig into product, marketing, partnerships, regulations, compliance, and employment matters. At the same time, you’ll define how Legal should work at Digit and build it based on the business needs. Through your work, you'll make significant contributions to enable Digit to fulfill its mission.
If you're passionate about making a meaningful difference in people's lives in partnership with a smart, driven and fun-loving team, we're excited to meet you.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with our product team early in the product development cycle to design, build and launch new features that are easy-to-use for our members while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance
- Build processes for our marketing team to ensure that new advertising creative and tools comply with applicable rules and regulations including user privacy and financial regulations
- Define and build a world-class legal function from the ground up at a fast-growing consumer fintech company
- Provide guidance and advice to the Senior Leadership Team as we navigate Digit’s future together
- Manage external counsel to maximize benefit at at low cost
- Be the point-person for all agreements with partners and vendors
Are you the candidate we are looking for? (Requirements for the role)
- You are a seasoned counsel with 8+ years of experience across a variety of subject matters.
- Experience at a top-tier law firm representing technology companies as well as in-house experience at a fast-growing private technology company is preferred
- You have at least two years experience working with or at a company subject to significant regulations. Fintech experience a plus
- You approach legal problems from a user-centric and business-centric view, working to find solutions while mitigating risk
- Initially, you are willing and able to both do the work and build the Legal function at Digit
- You are capable of receiving and providing feedback
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 100% paid health insurance coverage from Anthem
- 100% paid vision and dental coverage
- Fertility Benefit
- Catered lunches with unlimited snacks and drinks
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Flexible vacation policy
Digit automates the day-to-day work of managing money so you never even have to think about it. We want to eliminate the stress and anxiety people feel about their finances while helping them build a solid foundation for the future they’re trying to achieve. Our technology combines machine learning, behavioral psychology, and natural language interaction to provide a personal assistant you can trust to work toward your goals while you spend your time and effort on what’s most important in your life.
Digit is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.