$18 - $21/ hour depending on experience + TIPS! & MORE BENEFITS!
Interested in a 4-day workweek schedule while still getting full-time hours?
This schedule is offered as an OPTIONAL BENEFIT for those interested & will include four swing shifts that will begin between 10 am - Noon each day and last for 9 hours and 45 minutes with a lunch break
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As a Sous Chef, you will support our Restaurant Leaders to drive culinary and hospitality excellence in our scratch-based kitchen. With a genuine love for cooking delicious food, you will work to master every DIG station by consistently executing recipes, processes, and procedures and training actively to elevate the knowledge of the whole restaurant. Our Chefs-In-Training look to you for guidance because you invest in their growth, lead during peak service, resolve guest concerns and serve as a vital resource on culinary & systems best practices. You will take initiative as a leader & role model in the kitchen by participating in pre- shifts, shift management, and training & will be held accountable to ensuring tasks across the restaurant are completed on time and to standard. The Sous Chef role is an hourly position and a great opportunity to learn the business and grow with DIG!
ABOUT THE TEAM:
People are the power - in our kitchens we not only develop knife skills, but life skills. We use a traditional brigade system to streamline vertical communication. As Sous Chef, our Chefs-In-Training partner with you, and you report directly to our Restaurant Leaders. You work collaboratively with the leadership team to ensure that everyone is well trained and organized to provide guests’ with an experience that goes beyond a great meal. DIG is determined to rebuild the food system, and we couldn’t do it without you.
- Elevate and motivate Chef’s-in-Training by modeling culinary expertise, warm hospitality, and a great attitude.
- Train fellow teammates on each station, following station diagrams, pars & station prep to ensure consistency.
- Demonstrate mastery of every station by consistently executing all seasonal menu offerings according to the recipes, procedures, and standards of The Pantry.
- Manage prep lists, waste logs and participate in food inventory while staying in close contact with your Chef de Cuisine to ensure your walk-in is fully-stocked and organized.
- Learn all restaurant ordering systems [Food, paper etc] to support the CDC in maintaining appropriate pars needed for service.
- Run and execute successful restaurant shift management by writing a smart deployment, delegating work appropriately to the team and following scheduled deployment and breaks.
- Successfully open and close the restaurant using the checklists and thorough communication with the previous days leaders to best prepare for a steady shift.
- Participate in team building through interview shadowing, contributing to the Chef’s table agenda, providing feedback to CITs, and leading preshift.
- Operate the expeditor / computer station to ensure that food presentation and order accuracy is met for all walk-in, pick-up and delivery orders.
- Troubleshoot and create solutions regarding guest concerns, digital ordering, and equipment maintenance.
- Help to maintain the “A” lettergrade by following Department of Health and DIG food safety standards.
- Demonstrate professional maturity and strictly uphold DIG’s anti-discrimination & anti-harassment policies.
- 1+ year leadership experience in a culinary environment.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds). These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Food Safety Certification.
- A desire to create exceptional employee & guest experiences.
- An eye for detail and solving challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in wherever necessary.
- A desire for growth in our brigade.
Aside from the standard job description fare (competitive pay) we also offer:
- Opportunities for GROWTH in a TEAM environment
- Competitive Pay: $17-19/hour depending on experience
- Paid Time Off
- Thanksgiving, Christmas and other Holidays Off
- Flexible Scheduling: Part Time and Full Time Hours
- Optional 4 Day Work Week Schedule with Full Time Hours
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
- Commuter Benefits
At Dig Food Group, we’re building a better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we’ve grown to more than 30 fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really cook) in our kitchens.
To do this, we’ve built direct and real relationships with farmers. We don’t just name check them on our menus -- we’re true partners in their businesses. We focus on farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is growing in the fields.
Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills.
We’re not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving, our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply
Additional Role Note:
The duties of this position may change from time to time. DIG reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Dig or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
DIG is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ancestry, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related condition, unemployment status, gender identity or expression, transgender status or gender dysphoria, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, national origin, citizenship, disability, covered veteran and/or military status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, familial status as that term is described under the New York State Human Rights Law, caregiver or partnership status as those terms are defined under the New York City Human Rights Law (if you are employed in New York City) or other protected status or any other characteristic as protected under applicable federal, state and local law (“Protected Status”).