ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Restaurant Experience Designer at DIG is responsible for bringing DIG’s personality to life through our restaurants. In collaboration with our Director of Development and our Founder, you will ideate and implement our design strategies, through visual storytelling around all things culinary, people and beyond. The Restaurant Experience Designer has an innate sense of design, and will create beautiful and functional spaces for our guests to enjoy and our chefs to operate. You have a knack for operational excellence and also view things through a practical lens to ensure what we select for our restaurants works for our customers, internally and externally. You will actively be involved with projects ranging from new restaurant openings, new concept design and renovations. You will work closely with the Real Estate, Development/Construction, Operations, Strategy and Marketing teams playing a key role in the design and construction process from conception to completion. We are looking for a true team player with a sense of ownership to help us build the future of DIG restaurants.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
The Restaurant Experience Designer Role sits on the larger ReDev team [Real Estate & Development] and reports to our Director of Development. The ReDev team thrives at the intersection of form and function, working translating the brand to physical spaces as well as creative and construction projects. We’re in tune with how guests interact with our restaurants and food–whether that’s kitchen and dining room design, brand partnership, or signage and storefront design. We’ve focused on creating an exciting restaurant scene, a passion for food, and a keen eye for design.
- Work with our Founder and Redev team to design & remodel DIGs to tell a cohesive story and provide a consistent experience for existing & new restaurants/ formats.
- Execute design requests from our current restaurants.
- Conduct testfits upon the identification of sites.
- Build and track procurement lists and manage against project timelines.
- Review architectural plans and communicate edits to architects and project managers.
- Liaise with our architects to relay design updates and iterations.
- Create shop drawings for custom fixtures.
- Oversee custom orders, working directly with vendors including furniture, signage, and fixtures.
- Assist with sourcing, production, and installation of decor, finishes and signage.
- Manage and update samples library, design guidelines, and SOPs.
- Serve as a hands-on team player. The Restaurant Experience Designer will be onsite to oversee the execution of GCs and vendors.
- Exemplify a true sense of ownership over your work. This role understands that the execution of a design and how it comes to life experience wise is just as important as the image on the page. Ownership extends to the final product.
- A background and strong results in graphic design, art, or architecture and a portfolio to match.
- Proficiency in Adobe creative suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Google Sketchup, CAD or other rendering software is a must.
- A passion for food, restaurant design trends, the broader hospitality industry, and DIG’s mission.
- Experience working with, sourcing and managing vendors, files, and printers.
- Top-notch organizational skills–every project has a task list and schedule, and requires coordination.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and get dirty, including painting, trekking, and assembling, anything that comes our way.
- Ability to react quickly–every project has a fluid schedule and is full of unforeseen challenges.
- Excellent communication skills–you’ll stay on top of messages, juggle multiple project threads, and close the loop
- The ability to learn fast and make changes- every project gains direction from other stakeholders. You welcome their input and move quickly.
WORK PERKS: Aside from your the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Company laptop
- Flexible vacation time
- Bonus Potential
- Phone reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
At Dig Food Group, we’re building a better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we’ve grown to more than 30 fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really cook) in our kitchens.
To do this, we’ve built direct and real relationships with farmers. We don’t just name check them on our menus -- we’re true partners in their businesses. We focus on farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is growing in the fields.
Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills.
We’re not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving, our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply