Are you familiar with the word Sprachgefühl? Better yet, does it describe you? If so, this might be the job for you. Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com are looking for a talented wordsmith with a sixth sense for grammar and usage to develop lexical content that builds on our core offerings, and delights and inspires English speakers of all ages.
The right candidate will demonstrate an uncanny ability to synthesize and distill research into clear, accessible, and engaging writing that exemplifies how words and (their synonyms) are most commonly used. Previous experience in reference publishing is highly desired, as is a familiarity or interest in historical linguistics and/or etymology.
There will be minutiae: you will be inputting, formatting, reformatting, and scheduling content in a content management system, and you’ll spend a fair amount of time with spreadsheets. The ideal candidate will be able to switch seamlessly from intense, creative work to the nitty-gritty of editorial production required to bring that work to life.
In close collaboration with the Managing Editor of Lexicographical Content, you will:
- Create content for and support editorial production of Word of the Day
- Create content for and support editorial production for new projects on Thesaurus.com
- 5+ years writing and/or editing for publication, preferably in the reference space
- Some training or familiarity with historical linguistics, etymologies, or word origins
- Clear, concise & engaging writing style
- Excellent attention to detail
- A love of the English language, and desire to dive into research
- Ability to work independently and stick to deadlines
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management system
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and other online styles
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in linguistics or related field
Desired Skills and Experience
- Scriptwriting for podcasts
- Use of corpora for research
- Fact-checking of reference materials
- Experience with collaborative tools (Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox)
- Please submit, along with your resume and cover letter, samples of previous writing and editing work.
- Our office is in Downtown Oakland, California; however, a remote role may be considered for this position.