Editor in Chief
Dictionary.com is committed to eliminating anxiety with the English language, through simple, expertly crafted definitions, the perfect synonyms, and rich narratives about the intersection of words and culture. We are the leading digital source for everything related to words and their meanings, with 70 million monthly users and 100 million app installs. We believe words are core to the human experience, and as such, we have made it our mission to deliver the best dictionary and thesaurus imaginable to the largest audience possible.
The Dictionary.com team exudes energy and passion for words and language and is driven to invest in the people and products that will propel Dictionary.com forward another 20+ years.
We are in search of an Executive Editor to help drive a transformation of our editorial strategy. If successful, Dictionary.com will become a top tier publisher about any and all things related to words… including cultural discourse and social phenomena. This role will report directly to the CEO.
You are a change maker with a vision and the persistence to deliver. You think big, but also know how to get scrappy when needed. You have a passion for words, and insightful connection to the impact that words have on the human experience. Reflecting on your years of experience in premium digital publishing, you are ready to have create something new. You are impact driven. You lead with purpose to achieve strategic goals and are able to enlist your vast network to support the vision. Boldness, curiosity, reflection, wit and tenacity define you.
- Elevate and expound the existing editorial vision in a collaborative manner in order to unify the broader organization around the strategy
- Create and manage an editorial roadmap and oversee development of a rigorous content calendars
- Set a consistent voice and style across all content types including text, video and other mediums
- Field pitches, developing sharp and compelling angles for stories, copy-editing, fact checking and write as needed.
- Work closely with the writers, illustrators and video creators to develop rich, multimedia storytelling
- Discover, recruit and develop high performing freelance writers. Develop guest contributor alliances with high impact individuals
- Collaborate with Content Operations, Design and Marketing teams to achieve ambitious goals including but not limited to significant traffic growth and increased engagement through social media
- Apply data driven insights to continuously optimize content and refine strategic approach
- Apply SEO best practices to optimize all aspects of content for SEO traffic
- Establish and justify editorial budget with a rigorous, data driven approach
- 8+ years of demonstrated success in digital publishing creative management
- Experience developing original video series and / or podcast strongly preferred
- Proven ability to develop amazing teams that are constantly learning, growing and winning
- Highly organized and comfortable creating and using production and performance
dashboards to manage progress
- Fluency with site analytics and tracking, as well as traffic-driving strategies
- Radically transparent and collaborative leadership style
- Goal oriented in approach to decision making
- Self-driven and tireless in the pursuit of results in a fast-paced environment
Dictionary.com offers competitive salaries, plus amazing benefits and perks.
Unlimited vacation policy, Excellent Medical plans, 401(k) matching,
Tuition Reimbursement, team building outings, celebrations, and food!