Data Engineering Manager - London
Live shows make us feel good. They’re a time to hang with our friends, discover new artists or lose ourselves on a dancefloor. We’re on a mission to bring all of this to more fans, more often – and that’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join our Data team, to take ownership of a talented group of Data Engineers, and help scale our data engineering function to make DICE more reliable and impactful for its partners and fans.
At DICE, you’ll be part of the company that’s redefining live entertainment. It's a place where you can be yourself, influence the culture, and create work that you’re proud of.
About the role
As a Data Engineering Manager, you will help ensure our Data Engineers deliver the highest quality data solutions across the business. You’ll work closely with Product Managers, Technical Leads, and people managers within the Data team to improve our ways of working and establish standards across the data team.
Your time will be split between people & process management (65%) and technical work (35%). You will be responsible for the personal and professional development of your direct reports, by fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement. You will coach them to manage their workflow, help with scoping and prioritising their projects, and negotiate resources and budgets with other managers. You will also actively break down silos and encourage communications between teams.
You will work with Product Managers and the Head of Data to support the formulation and implementation of a data engineering strategy, and a roadmap for its delivery. To help DICE reach a higher level of technical maturity, you will have the autonomy to establish best practices and grow a high-performance team.
- Managing a team of Data Engineers, this may include managing Individual Contributors who are more experienced than you.
- Mentoring, coaching and guiding the team towards success, through regular performance reviews and 1-to-1 meetings.
- Responsible for bringing the team to a higher level of technical and business maturity, by establishing best practices, overcoming siloed thinking, and encouraging collaboration.
- Owning the execution of the data engineering strategy and roadmap, with the Head of Data and people managers within the Data team.
- Liaising with Data Product Managers, Analytics Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Scientists to build the best solutions for DICE.
- An evangelist for data engineering in DICE, actively reaching out to other business units to encourage best practices adoption.
- Passionate, humble and talented.
- A fan of music and culture.
- Actively responsible.
- A problem-solver.
- Inspiring and collaborative.
- An excellent communicator.
- A manager for engineers.
- Proven track record (1-3 years) of managing a technical data team, preferably a small team of Data Engineers.
- Demonstrable experience in people management and process management.
- Knowledge in data engineering best practices and evidence of successful implementation.
- Experience in supporting the formulation and implementation of data strategy and roadmap.
- Experience with data and systems architecture, data engineering and quality in cloud environments.
- Experience in owning an end-to-end project from conception to delivery.
- Knowledge of Python, AWS, ETL (dbt preferable), BI tools (Looker preferable) and data quality frameworks. Previous experience with Great Expectations is a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, DevOps, CI/CD, Docker/Kubernetes and infrastructure-as-Code. Knowledge of Terraform is a plus.
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL, ie Postgresql, MySQL, MongoDB or similar.
- Experience using version control software, including GitHub.
- Knowledge of workflow software such as Prefect, Luigi, Airflow or Jenkins.
- Experience designing and interfacing with REST APIs is a plus.
Our teams work from London, New York, Los Angeles, Barcelona, Paris, Milan, Berlin and Mumbai. We’re building products that will revolutionise the industry for fans, artists and venues – and we’re growing fast. Read about our Series C funding and our latest funding round to see what’s next for DICE.
We know that having a variety of perspectives makes us a better company – it’s why we strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. Find out how we’re creating a more diverse, equitable and inclusive DICE.
- Unlimited paid holiday
- Monthly DICE credits
- Private health insurance with Vitality with tons of perks
- Workplace pension with Penfold
- Coaching and CBT sessions
- Generous parental package - We provide enhanced parental leave for all employees from day one at DICE.
- Dedicated leave for all employees journeying through fertility, surrogacy, and adoption support.
We recognise the benefits of hybrid working, and want to create the best balance to ensure we can continue working together effectively. For our UK team, we have a hybrid work policy of three days in the office and two days from anywhere. You can chat about your specific team’s days and expectations during the interview process.
Our process usually involves a quick chat on the phone, a portfolio review or task and a couple of interviews where you’ll meet the people you’ll work with. We’ll keep you fully informed along the way.