Dialpad is where work comes together—one, beautiful workspace for anywhere communication & collaboration. With the industry’s most innovative business phone system, unlimited text and team messaging, one-click video meetings, and the world’s most advanced AI Contact Center—Dialpad is completely transforming how the world works together.
Every engineer on our global Engineering team is given the opportunity to take ownership of a large portion of the product where they’re able to see immediate results. Combining natural language processing and artificial intelligence with world-class cloud computing, the things you’ll create at Dialpad will shape the future of work—enabling companies to work from anywhere and making business communication more human.
The Product Engineering, Call Features team is focused on the control of the call and provides a stable platform for the Talk and Contact Center applications to be built on top of. An interface between Product Engineering applications like Talk (Phones, departments) and Contact Center (call centers, coaching teams, sales centers) and the Telephony platform (bare metal, SIP, media transport), Call Features provide important features such as fan-outs to member of a department, queuing logic for inbound call centers, routing of calls via IVRs or Voice, local presence enabling dialing out from the local area code of the call recipient, Coaching Teams for listening in and live mentorship, monitoring, and more.
The backend engineering work of the Call Features team is central to complex debugging of a distributed system using Google App Engine logging and custom tooling, and is critical to Dialpad managing a high volume of concurrent calls.
What you will achieve
In your first 30 days:
- Set up your development environment
- Get to know a highly communicative and collaborative engineering team
- Complete engineering onboarding
- Begin to get ramped up through hands-on starter projects such as building tooling, bugfixing, developing a small feature in Talk or Call Center to grasp the end user application, and Call Features unit tests
- Use the starter projects as springboards to learn how the underlying call works within Call Features and how to trace it through the system
- Learn about the telephony platform and how it interacts with the products
- Attend weekly Call Feature Q+A sessions: collaborative learning sessions
- Begin asking questions and eventually discuss concepts and architecture
In your first 60 days:
- Start implementing features
- Learn the basic call flow
By 90 days:
- Learn more complex call flows - develop expertise in a specific domain
- Participate in tooling, monitoring and logging projects that address team technical debt
- Contribute thoughts and new ideas on what the focus should be for upcoming stability/tech debt work
- Shadow on-call engineer in order to later eventually join the team’s rotation to have on-call responsibility approximately once in two months
- Help mentor more engineers and identify engineering process improvements
- Begin to come up with a roadmap for the team for a 1 to 1.5 year period
Who you are
As an experienced backend engineer, you will have the opportunity to be a part of challenging technical problem solving and making varied contributions to Call Features, ranging from building features of a robust live system beginning with unit tests, identifying issues and engaging in investigative debugging, building tooling, and conveying relevant metrics up to dashboards such as Datadog, and Google Stackdriver. You bring inquisitiveness to your work and a background with critical stable systems of scale, are experienced with real-time debugging and outages, and have built backend data models that have high performance requirements and complex business logic and state cycles.
As part of a cross functional team, you will drive technical conversations within and outside the Call Features team, work closely with others including engineers and product managers in design and code reviews, and translate business requirements into pragmatic technical solutions while discussing and navigating tradeoffs.
- Demonstrated experience with 2+ large production backend systems at scale: designing, building, launching, and maintaining
- Deep experience with cloud deployed solutions
- Strong backend programming experience whether with Python, Java, C#, Node.js, Ruby, etc.
- Experience designing backends based on microservices architecture
Our Tech Stack: Python backend on Google App Engine / Google Cloud Platform
We’ve been named a Top Workplace seven times because we truly live and breathe our culture. In alignment with one of our core values, “Skill & Will,” we strive to bring on only the most passionate and talented people to our team. Collectively, Dialers work together to solve problems that help the everyday worker. We foster a collaborative environment where people are elevated, wins are celebrated, and development is encouraged.
Compensation and Equity
Teamwork makes the dream work. Recognizing that our talented and committed team members drive our success, Dialpad offers competitive salaries in addition to stock options because each Dialer participates in our success.
Equity, Balance, and Belonging
At Dialpad, we value the humanity that makes each of us unique. We strive to ensure everyone is supported equitably, and Dialers are free to bring their full selves to work each day, and celebrate others doing the same. We champion the intersectionality that exists between gender identity, ethnicity, age, disability status, and the many other aspects of our greater humanity.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and marginalized groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Dialpad we are dedicated to building an inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Dialpad is an equal-opportunity employer. We are dedicated to creating a community of inclusion and an environment free from discrimination or harassment.