Diagram is a venture builder that connects ideas, founders, and capital to build the next generation of tech-enabled companies. We have proven our unique model with 14 ventures launched over the past 6 years, which have created >$1.5B in shareholder value and employed 1,000+ people across the portfolio. We’ve teamed up with world-class founders to launch a number of category-leading companies, including Dialogue, Nesto, ClearEstate and Synctera, and we continue to build in spaces that demand radical transformation.
Solving the global climate crisis means reinventing virtually every aspect of our daily lives, from how we travel, to how we power our homes, to the food we eat. While much of the fundamental technology has been developed, there aren’t enough companies commercializing it. This is where we aim to contribute, by applying our unique venture building model to accelerate company creation. We aim to build 12 ventures over the next 4 years that mitigate the drivers and impacts of GHG emissions.
To launch industry-disruptive companies, we need people from all backgrounds and walks of life. As such, we are committed to creating diverse and inclusive teams, and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Diagram is looking for a Venture Creation Associate who will ideate, de-risk, and launch ClimateTech ventures through our new $50M dedicated fund.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a driven individual eager to develop both their entrepreneurial and investor skills while having a meaningful impact on our planet and humanity. Reporting to Diagram’s ClimateTech Venture Creation Principal, this person will work directly with Diagram partners, potential founders, and expert advisors to lead the development, evaluation, and de-risking of new ventures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop in-depth investment theses and perspectives on opportunity areas based on market trends, regulatory changes, or new technological developments with high climate change mitigation or adaptation potential
- Identify theses-related customer pain points through customer research and generate product and business model ideas addressing those pain points
- Validate those ideas through user and market research, performing market sizing, analyzing competitive landscape, assessing business models and unit economics, reviewing scientific literature and validating underlying technologies soundness, commercial readiness, and scalability
- Generate and pitch validated venture ideas to Diagram’s Investment Committee to obtain pre-seed funding
- Own the work plan and lead the de-risking of ventures during the pre-seed phase (e.g. securing pilot customers, build MVP in collaboration with engineering, scientific, and industry experts);
- Pitch ideas to entrepreneurs and participate in the idea and venture matching process
- Help matched founders to ramp up on your venture ideas and support them in building their team and securing seed funding
- Contribute to building Diagram's brand in the community (e.g. networking with other VCs, attending startup community events, conferences, etc)
You should have:
- 3-5+ years of work experience in relevant fields such as:
- Early stage venture capital investing (Seed or Series A)
- Early-stage startup experience incl. product management, strategy, or engineering
- Consulting experience focused on technology, engineering and/or sustainability at a top firm
- Venture building at a venture studio
- A track record of outstanding performance
- A proven entrepreneurial mindset, high degree of ownership and a self-starter mentality
- Intellectual curiosity and rigor
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) - be comfortable pitching ideas, and be able to produce high-quality deliverables
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to build financial models, conduct market sizing
- A technical (Engineering, Science, Economics) degree, or proven ability to quickly ramp up on complex and / or technical concepts
- Knowledge, experience, or network in ClimateTech are a plus
What we offer:
- An essential role in something big, meaningful and different;
- The opportunity to push yourself, have ownership and impact;
- A team of accomplished, ambitious and supportive individuals that will help you grow;
- An ecosystem with many stretch opportunities including the potential to join a Diagram portfolio company;
- Competitive compensation, including upside in the companies Diagram creates;
- Beautiful office in a great location with flexible remote work policy;
- Generous benefits including a telemedicine service for your and your family.