Diagram is looking for an experienced entrepreneur or investor in the climate and sustainability space to co-lead our new Climate Tech fund.
This incoming Partner will work alongside the fund’s Venture Creation Partner to develop and execute our approach to the space in the coming years. They will partner with founding teams to launch a handful of new ventures each year, of which they will own a meaningful equity stake. Post-Seed, they will continue to work hands-on with our founders as they grow their business, helping them set and achieve their growth objectives and fundraising milestones. Beyond their core role, they will also be an active participant across the venture creation process, influencing the companies we decide to launch.
- Co-lead the Diagram Climate Tech fund, monitoring its performance and driving strategic decisions around its allocation
- Be the Lead Partner & Diagram Board member of 6-8 Diagram companies in the climate tech space over the next 4 years
- Contribute to building & nurturing Diagram’s network of Founders in the space, and participate in the formation of founding teams based on our vetting methodology
- Contribute to sourcing & vetting ideas for new ventures; the overall process is led by our Venture Creation team, but the Lead Partner is expected to actively contribute and sponsor ideas
- Be an ambassador for Diagram in the community, deepening our network in the climate space
- Collaborate regularly with the broader ecosystem (i.e., Sagard, Portage) on their climate strategies
- Deep understanding of the Climate Tech space, including macro and sector-specific trends, and broad familiarity with emerging technologies and an outlook on their future potential
- A robust network in the space, including research institutions & VC firms we could partner with as we launch new ventures
- Experience as a tech entrepreneur and/or active investor in the space, with prior roles as an advisor or Board member to a Climate Tech startup
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of French strongly preferred
- Montreal-based (or willing to relocate), or willingness to travel frequently to Montreal
- Total compensation competitive with equivalent Partner positions in venture firms
Diagram co-founds industry-disruptive companies, and we need people from all backgrounds and walks of life to help build the future of these industries. As such, Diagram is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive team, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
About Diagram & our new Climate Tech Fund
Diagram is a venture builder that connects ideas, founders and capital to build the next generation of tech-enabled companies. We have proven our unique model with 14 ventures over the past 6 years, which have created >$1.5B in shareholder value and employed 1,000+ people across the portfolio. We’ve teamed up with world-class founders to launch a number of category-leading companies, including Dialogue, nesto, ClearEstate and Synctera, and we continue to build in spaces that demand radical transformation.
Solving the global climate crisis means reinventing virtually every aspect of our daily lives, from how we travel to how we power our homes to the food we eat. As Larry Fink, CEO of Blackrock has said, “getting to net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is going to require [...] a large amount of investment, a large amount of ingenuity and a large amount of innovation.” Fortunately, the past two years have seen tremendous growth in capital flowing into the space, as we reach an unprecedented convergence of corporate, government and consumer interests. However, while much of the fundamental technology has been developed, there aren’t enough companies commercializing solutions to our climate challenges. This is where we aim to contribute, by applying our unique venture building model to accelerate company creation in this critical space.
As a result, we have decided to start a dedicated practice and fund in 2023 to create and launch tech-enabled businesses that mitigate the drivers and impacts of GHG emissions. With this fund, we aim to build on our early successes in the space, including Novisto, and launch 12-15 ventures over the next 4 years. Given our partnership with the local government as an anchor investor in the fund, we will build a meaningful proportion of these ventures out of Quebec, which boasts an ecosystem ripe with deep technical expertise.
With this fund, we will continue to work alongside Sagard, the multi-strategy alternative investment platform of the Power Corporation of Canada, which in turn has over $2.5t in assets under administration and 31m+ customers across its companies. This robust ecosystem has and will continue to be an unparalleled source of investors, advisors and potential clients for our Climate Tech ventures.