Dewpoint Therapeutics is building a highly collaborative team to harness the power of biomolecular condensates. Together, we are leveraging a transformative shift in the understanding of cellular biology to discover and advance breakthrough therapeutics for the toughest diseases.
We are seeking a Director/VP, Chemistry, to lead Dewpoint’s chemistry activities and to play a pivotal role in advancing the company’s overall R&D strategy. In this role, you will lead our medicinal chemistry research and discovery, advancing novel chemistries to pharmaceutically practical assets and applications, and contribute to key decisions leading up to preclinical and clinical development. As such, you will be primarily accountable for internal and external research assets from discovery through early scale-up and CMC activities. Several of these assets are part of significant strategic pharmaceutical partnerships and you will become part of those partnership teams. You will also collaborate closely with all discovery and development functions at Dewpoint and will contribute to overall leadership and operational decisions to ensure that innovative platform research and application programs are fully supportive of Dewpoint’s strategic objectives and emerging pipeline.
The ideal candidate is an experienced and enthusiastic medicinal chemist with a complementary background in synthetic organic chemistry who thrives in a hypothesis-driven, team-oriented, and multi-disciplinary biotech environment. You will look forward to participating in all stages of drug discovery programs, advancing small molecules from hit identification through development candidate selection. In this role, you will lead a team that consists of both internal employees and external (CRO) partners, and will report to the SVP, Head of Research & Development. You will model and inspire a strong collaborative and can-do attitude across the different functions of the company as a team leader and as a senior management team member.
In this position you’ll be part of an energizing and supportive startup culture engaged in continuous learning, and part of an exceptional international team. You will be based in our Berlin site and collaborate extensively with colleagues in Dresden and Boston. Dewpoint offers competitive salary and benefits.
In this position you will.....
- Build and lead a medicinal chemistry team consisting of external CRO partners supplemented by key internal chemists
- Lead medicinal chemistry efforts for validated targets to clear decision points
- Assist in the development of medicinal chemistry strategy; execute this strategy independently, effectively managing multiple priorities under time and resource pressures
- Prioritize medicinal chemistry activities, managing both internal and external chemistry resources to ensure timeline adherence and project alignment with company goals
- Lead the design, plan, and execution of multi-step syntheses of high-quality small molecules for biological screening
- Build, critically interpret, and react to structure activity relationships incorporating physicochemical properties and pharmacological function readouts
- Possess a clear and effective communication style to disseminate project data and medicinal chemistry approach to both internal colleagues and external collaborators
To do that you will need.....
- A Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with at least 10 years of experience working pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology setting as a medicinal chemist
- Demonstrated leadership in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery as evidenced by a strong record of scientific accomplishment utilizing cross functional information
- Experience leading medicinal chemistry program(s) into phase one clinical trials
- Proven ability to manage timelines and resources to drive projects toward key decision criteria
- Strong synthetic chemistry and an exposure to the fundamental concepts and tools required to design and synthesize collections of diverse compounds
- Keen attention to detail and a strong sense of urgency
- The desire and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and team-focused environment and experience in mentoring and leading scientific teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate very effectively in English, the shared language of our multicultural team