We are seeking a cloud engineer to build tools to manage massive earth data on the cloud. As a cloud engineer at Development Seed, you will build software that allows our partners at organizations like NASA and ESA to manage data on the cloud. You will create new patterns to manage, process, and distribute earthdata. You will enable earth scientists to work smarter and faster, giving us all better insight into our changing planet.
NASA and other geospatial organizations are collecting vast amounts of Earth observation data. With your help, the rich information stored in these archives can be unlocked by human’s inquisitive and exploratory nature. You will build systems to support the delivery of this data to the cloud and translation to formats and services which make discovery of the information frictionless.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience related to software development
- Minimum of 1 year of cloud experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Proficiency in languages such as Node.js or Python
- Experience using Docker to create containerized applications
- Experience with Git, Github and project management tools
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to solve new challenges
- Experience with and interest in technical project management
Experience with earth observation data is a plus.
As a cloud engineer, you will:
- Build reliable and scalable services, optimized to deliver petabytes of satellite imagery data to millions of simultaneous users
- Use cloud services to process imagery in near-real time
- Solve real problems for organizations that address big global challenges
- Use the best technology and practices available in the earth observation and cloud infrastructure communities to ensure successful projects
- Learn and grow with a team that is committed to your success
- Work with stakeholders to understand the needs of end users
- Be an advocate for for cloud-optimized data formats and services
To be successful in this role, you will leverage your skills building quality, repeatable data processing and manipulation tools on cloud technologies. The majority of your time will be writing software and building infrastructure that enables access to earthdata. An ideal candidate has experience with Docker and Amazon Web Services, and is excited to learn new tools, services, and approaches.
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You write detailed documentation before and after writing code.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.