Who are we?
Dessa is Square’s deep learning launchpad, where our team uses the technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges. We do this by incorporating deep learning into Square’s existing ecosystem of products designed for economic empowerment, and through Dessa Labs, a collection of projects that tackle issues in high-impact areas like deepfake detection, healthcare, and astronomy. Our work to stretch what’s possible with deep learning has been featured in The New York Times, VICE, The Verge, and Quartz. Dessa is based in Toronto, a global centre for artificial intelligence.
The Deep Learning team at Dessa is a place for deep learning practitioners that want to create massive real-world impact with their work. Our team collaborates closely with teams at Square to develop deep learning applications that advance existing products and contribute to new ones, advancing the company’s mission of economic empowerment. Through our in-house initiative Dessa Labs, you will also devote significant time to creating ambitious deep learning projects that empower people’s understanding of deep learning and its real-world potential.
What you’ll do:
- Work with purpose: develop and deploy deep learning models that create real business impact at Square from day one
- Design your own deep learning applications that demonstrate the technology’s real-world potential to the public
- Collaborate with an entrepreneurial and tightly knit team that believes in continuous growth, honest feedback and inclusion
- Mentor junior machine learning engineers in developing their skills and knowledge
- Communicate ideas, updates, capabilities, and workflows to various stakeholders
Technologies we use (and teach):
- Python ML libraries like TensorFlow & PyTorch
- Apache Spark
- 2+ years of applied machine learning experience and at least 3 years of applied deep learning experience working with live industry datasets
- Experience leading teams in deploying machine learning projects
- An Engineering, Computer Science, or similar graduate degree
- Effective communication skills and comfort interacting with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of people, and in a rapidly changing multi-disciplinary work environment
- A desire to perform and grow in your role
Nice to have:
- Experience with semi-supervised, reinforcement learning, active learning, explainability, or natural language processing (NLP)
- Contributions to open-source or personal projects, combined with an active voice on the AI/ML/DL scene such as record of published research papers, involvement at conferences/meetups/online teaching, etc.
Dessa treats all employees and job applicants equally and we strive to create an inclusive workplace culture. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. By submitting your application for this role, you authorize Square to store your information in an internal recruitment database and to reach out to you as necessary for the purpose of further evaluating your qualifications for this role.
Perks At Square: we want you to be well and thrive. Square’s global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources.