Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
We are hiring a Senior Software Firmware Engineer to join our global team. This position is located at our HQ in Burlington, MA.
- Work closely with hardware, process and material engineers in developing software and firmware controlling high precision industrial 3d printers.
- Design simple, scalable, and robust firmware and embedded software driving microcontroller-based systems
- Understand and help solve problems involving multiple engineering disciplines spanning the full product development lifecycle, from research and early prototyping through mass production.
- Work alongside the electrical team in reviewing PCB design, and assisting with board bring up and validation.
- Analyze and resolve field problems. Perform root cause analysis and identify efficient preventive actions.
- Advanced knowledge of C programming language and experience with ARM microcontroller-based embedded systems
- Familiarity with multiple high-level programming languages, including C++ and Python
- A solid understanding of electronics fundamentals and hardware debugging
- Ability to read and follow electrical schematics.
- Experience working in real-time systems (FreeRTOS)
- Knowledge of motor control or electrical power conversion concepts (PID Controllers, PWM, ADC)
- Deep understanding of communication standards and protocols (RS-232/485, CAN, SPI, I2C)
- Comfortable using basic electrical diagnostic equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power supplies)
- Experience with version control, code reviews, and bug tracking systems (Git, GitHub, Jira)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of 3D printing/additive manufacturing
- Experience working throughout the full software stack, including backend and frontend web frameworks (Node.js, React)
- Understanding of networking protocols and technologies (TCP/IP, MQTT, protobuf)
- Experience with FPGA development and test with proficiency in Verilog
- Exposure to build and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Docker, Nexus)
- Experience developing redundant, fault tolerant, or high-reliability embedded systems
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.