Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised of hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
Adaptive3D, a wholly owned subsidiary of Desktop Metal, is the premium Additive Manufacturing polymer resin supplier. With the most innovative and cutting-edge technologies, we are partnering with global leaders to deliver solutions for functional end use products and prototypes.
Adaptive3D is looking for a motivated test technician to join our growing research and development team. Adaptive3D makes photopolymer resins for the 3D printing and advanced polymers markets. Our working environment is dynamic with projects and duties changing on a weekly basis. If you enjoy a challenge and are looking for an opportunity to grow your testing and engineering skill set, then this is the job for you. An engineering degree is not required, however, a strong knowledge of mechanical behavior of materials, testing and instrumentation coupled with a strong work ethic, character, and adaptability is.
This position is a full-time on-site position located at Adaptive3D’s headquarters and lab facilities in Plano, Texas. This position reports to the Director of Analytical Services.
The function of the Analytical Test Technician is to perform accurate and consistent tests on Adaptive3D’s materials and products using a variety of instruments and to document the results with concise and accurate reports. The tests performed by the Test Technician will include mechanical, physical and chemical tests on materials, parts and resins. Work with testing instrumentation and custom, non-standard tests and equipment is also within the scope of this role. A major focus of this role will be mechanical testing of materials and products using equipment such as Universal Testing Machines, Impact and Rebound Testers, as well as devising and constructing testing fixtures and jigs.
The position requires a strong science background to perform, understand and troubleshoot tests. Good mechanical aptitude and ability is also required. The ability to work in a fast paced and ever-changing environment will also be a desirable trait.
- Contribute to the Analytical and Testing Team as needed
- Perform tests to characterize materials
- Generate data and reports for materials characterization
- Assist in other testing areas such as resin characterization and polymer samples as needed
- Assist in laboratory maintenance (cleaning, inventory, etc.)
- Must possess a strong technical aptitude and teamwork mentality
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to changing work priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills to maintain a cordial and professional demeanor when working with other departments and team members
- Understanding of materials and strength of materials
- Knowledge of mechanical and materials testing
- Experience with a Windows computing environment (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project) as well as the ability to learn custom software packages
- Good mechanical aptitude and skills including working with mechanical equipment and building fixtures
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience in a testing or research laboratory
- Experience performing mechanical tests including running a universal testing machine (UTM)
- Experience collecting, plotting and analyzing experimental data
- Ability to design and facilitate fabrication of test fixtures and ancillary equipment
- Instrumentation Experience
- Knowledge of polymers
- Technician: 2-year associates degree, or 2 years’ experience working in a mechanical testing laboratory
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.