Desktop Metal is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make 3D printing an essential tool for engineers, designers and manufacturers around the world.
Since its inception, the company has raised $438 million in financing with a portfolio of strategic partners and investors, including Ford Motor Company, GV (formerly Google Ventures), GE Ventures, BMW iVentures, Koch Disruptive Technologies, Lowe’s, New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and more. In addition, Desktop Metal has been selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum and named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies. The company has also been named one of the 2018 Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal and a 2017 Top Place to Work by the Boston Globe.
Located just outside of Boston, Desktop Metal is continuing to grow its team of experts and is looking to hire curious, passionate and driven engineers, scientists, and designers.
Desktop Metal is looking for an experienced Application Engineer to join our growing sales team. This role is critical and highly visible in our organization. This role will help drive the adoption of our technology inside some of the most innovative customers in the world. The Application Engineering team is responsible for providing pre and post sales support to our channel partners and customers. This includes inspecting potential opportunities for feasibility, consultation, and providing sales samples if the opportunity requires. The Application Engineering team serves as a voice of the customer, acting as a bridge between the software and engineering teams and end users.
- Maintain expertise in product positioning, specifications, operation and applications across several additive technologies
- Understand the application of technology to customer problems - manage the technical aspects of the sales cycle from initial consultation through design optimization and ultimately productization.
- Provide pre and post sales support to value added resellers (VARs), prospects and customers
- Articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users
- Engage with VARs and customers to provide product demonstrations, application evaluation, design consultation for additive techniques, feasibility studies, benchmarking and training
- Work with sales, product management, and R&D to develop the best technology and user experiences for our customers
- Work cross functionally with customer support to resolve customer application related difficulties including troubleshooting print defects
- Provide on site customer and reseller application user trainings as needed
- Follow up with pre and post sales sites to ensure strong customer engagement and success
- Communicate to engineering, service and product inefficiencies or confusion in the field
- Create training content and user instruction guidance as needed
- Engineering background (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or similar degree)
- Binder jet process tuning
- Metal powder-based additive technology experience
- Customer service or Sales support experience (minimum 5 years)
- Strong understanding of conventional manufacturing processes
- Passionate about additive manufacturing
- Team Player - ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment
- Organized and highly ambitious
- Excellent Communication and problem solving skills
- Additive support generation design
- SOLIDWORKS/OnShape/Autodesk Inventor or Fusion 360 or equivalent
- Magics/Netfabb or equivalent
- Generative Design software experience
- 3D printer slicer software experience (Cura/Insight)
- Hands-on experience with 3D printing operations (especially metal)