Manufacturing Test Engineer
Desktop Metal, based in Burlington, Massachusetts is reinventing the way engineering and manufacturing teams produce metal parts - from prototyping through mass production. Our mission is to advance product innovation with metal 3D printing. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make metal 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal has raised a total of $277 million in financing. Among the company’s investors include GV (formerly Google Ventures), GE Ventures, BMW, Lowe’s, Ford and Techtronic Industries (TTI).
In 2017, Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; named by the Boston Globe as one of the Best Places to Work in Boston and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “2017 Best of What’s New.”
Desktop Metal is seeking a talented and self-motivated Manufacturing Test Engineer. The ideal candidate will have experience supporting design engineering in early stages of prototyping through transfer to manufacturing.
The Manufacturing Test Engineer will be responsible for:
- Development and documentation of test methods, procedures, and test results
- Working with an interdisciplinary team to define requirements, technical specifications and design verification test plans
- Design and build of test equipment to support R&D, Pilot and MFG product test needs
- Performing product and subsystem level testing and document/communicate results
- On site support at Contract Manufacturer to ensure efficient production transfer and issue resolution (50%+ travel in New England)
- Training technicians and partners on standard test and documentation methods
- Supporting cross-functional root cause and corrective action activities
- Minimum 3-5 years of applicable Test Engineering experience in related field
- Experience designing and making unique test fixtures
- Ability to interpret and modify Engineering design documentation (schematics, drawings, etc.).
- Experience with specialized test equipment and test fixture hardware/software (thermal chambers, HALT chambers, vibration tables, power analyzers, pneumatics, PLC, LabVIEW, Python, etc.).
- Proficient with mechanical and electrical tools used in product development of electromechanical systems (common hand tools, drills, presses, multimeters, oscilloscopes, etc.).
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Demonstrated ability to process and analyze data to drive improvements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/MS Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent
- Understanding of safety systems and functionally safe design
- Additive manufacturing
- 3D printing
- Experience in lean manufacturing techniques
- Six Sigma