Desktop Metal, based in Burlington, Massachusetts is reinventing the way engineering and manufacturing teams produce metal parts - from prototyping through mass production. Our mission is to advance product innovation with metal 3D printing. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make metal 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal has raised a total of $277 million in financing. Among the company’s investors include GV (formerly Google Ventures), GE Ventures, BMW, Lowe’s, Ford and Techtronic Industries (TTI).
In 2017, Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; named by the Boston Globe as one of the Best Places to Work in Boston and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “2017 Best of What’s New.”
Desktop Metal is seeking a talented and self-motivated Manufacturing Engineer to support our production ramp up. The ideal candidate will have experience supporting design engineering in early stages of prototyping through transfer to manufacturing.
The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for:
- Supporting Senior Operations Manager with initial production transfer to Contract Manufacturer and associated ramp up activities
- Coordination between internal Design Engineering teams and Contract Manufacturer to drive effective communication
- On site support at Contract Manufacturer to ensure efficient production transfer and issue resolution (50%+ travel in New England)
- Development and documentation of manufacturing methods, procedures, and test results
- Supporting cross-functional root cause and corrective action activities
- Supporting Supply Chain and Supplier Quality with vendor audits and issue resolution
- Identifying and implementing cost down opportunities through collaborative DFM with internal design teams and contract manufacturer
- Minimum 3-5 years of applicable Manufacturing Engineering experience in related field
- Ability to interpret and modify Engineering design documentation (schematics, drawings, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems to manage design release and document control
- Proficient with mechanical and electrical tools used in product development of electromechanical systems (common hand tools, drills, presses, multi-meters, oscilloscopes, etc.).
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Demonstrated ability to process and analyze data to drive improvements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/MS Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent
- Understanding of safety systems and functionally safe design
- Contract Manufacturing
- PLM systems
- Additive manufacturing
- 3D printing
- Experience in lean manufacturing techniques
- Six Sigma