As a Senior Product Designer, you will help build end-to-end experiences for our users — from improvement to our project browser, our accounts admin, to upcoming editor features. You’ll collaborate closely with user research, product management and engineering to design and ship experiences that make it easy for anyone to create and edit video.
Our product is an intricate web of interconnected features, which means design at Descript is mostly about systems design. Designers who do well here are ones are the ones who love mind-melting puzzles, where you have to figure out how to keep all the interconnected parts straight in your head, and build something that has structural integrity while elegantly serving the needs of users. Join us to help build the future of creative tools.
- Be the lead designer in a feature team, working closely with key stakeholders and fellow designers to define next-generation video editing experiences
- Bring clarity and insight to problems that are broad and ambiguous in scope, integrating user, business, and technical constraints through structured thinking and concise communication
- Contribute to the definition and expansion of our design system
- Own the design process from concept through to execution, iterating based on feedback and user research
- Collaborate with PMs, user research and fellow product designers to make your work better, and be there as a thought partner for others when they need your help
- Design superb user experiences, with an insane attention to detail
- 6+ years as a product designer
- You have experience designing web, mobile or desktop applications with sophisticated user workflows and systems design challenges
- Experience on a fast-growing team, where you’ve operated in a fast-paced environment of uncertainty
- You are known for clear, direct communication and collaborating well with a diverse set of interest groups (engineers, designers, executives)
- You are highly organized and take your commitments seriously
- You enjoy working in ambiguity and can lead the design process for a cross-functional team
- You have a portfolio that exhibits strong systems design and conceptual thinking, and a real passion for your craft
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience in Design
Nice to haves
- Experience building and/or working on a creation tool (e.g., word processor, design tool, audio or video editing tool)
The base salary range for this role is $163,00-$192,500. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 140 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.