Derris is a brand consultancy headquartered in New York City and London. We approach our work methodically, telling stories with universal impact through strategy, positioning, content and communications. We challenge conventional thinking and seek to work with people who have an open mind for new ideas. We have a dual-pronged approach: first we help clients shape their message and then we help them communicate that story through media, only working with people, companies and causes we believe in.
Derris is here to help build great brands. From lifestyle and fashion, to food, health & wellness, home & hospitality, technology, non-profit, finance, real estate, sports and more — we work with both new and established companies to develop narratives that stand out in cluttered industries. We create unique messaging and execute strategic media relations programs that blend traditionally separate practice areas to offer clients a holistic approach to both consumer and business storytelling. A few of the clients on our roster include: Warby Parker, Reformation, Everlane, SKIMS, Good American, Harry's, Bombas, RSE Ventures, Juxtapose, Ruggable, and Away.
In 2022, we joined BerlinRosen Holdings, home of BerlinRosen and our partner agencies: Onward, M18, Glen Echo Group and Inkhouse, further building out our current work while expanding our reach across sectors including consumer, lifestyle, real estate, hospitality and technology, and offering expanded capabilities such as DEI consulting and public affairs.
Derris is looking for an Account Executive who will be responsible for managing the day-to-day tactical execution on accounts while also learning strategic planning across a variety of clients. The ideal candidate will have experience working across industries and be comfortable working with account teams with several team members. Further, we are looking for candidates passionate about contributing to company culture.
Location: This role is based in our New York, NY office on a hybrid basis. The Derris staff is in-office 3 days per week.
- Serve as day-to-day tactical lead for clients, including both internal and external client calls and meetings
- Possess a strong sense of tactical execution, while learning strategic planning
- Lead pitching efforts across broadcast, print and online
- Cultivates and maintains strong media relationships
- Skilled at drafting media and client-facing materials, including pitches, talking points, prep docs and press releases
- Adhere to deadlines and deliver work on time
- Learn management skills through oversight of junior members of the team
- Communicate effectively, both internally and externally, across accounts
- Manage time well and proactively; initiate ownership of projects
- 2-4 years of Public Relations experience, agency experience preferred
- Proven track record of media relations experience
- Experience within developing client relationships
- Ability to think through communication strategies and deliver tangible results
- Ability to write stylistically and shift writing styles based on client deliverables & internal meetings
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and in a dynamic, high energy, team-oriented atmosphere
- Must exhibit professionalism with clients and internal staff at all times
- Comfortable working across industries
Compensation: Derris offers competitive, industry rate salaries with the goal of retaining and growing talented individuals. We regularly review and adjust our compensation structure as needed to ensure equity across teams and levels.
The salary range for this role is $60,000 - $75,000, commensurate with experience.
Employees are eligible for employee referral bonuses, annual merit increases and commission for any referrals that lead to formal client partnerships. Derris is also committed to providing each employee with continued training and education as you grow within your careers with our Education Reimbursement Policy.
Benefits & Perks
- Employer-sponsored Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K program after 1 year of employment - We match dollar-for-dollar on the first 3%, then 50% of everything you contribute between 4% - 5%
- Flex Weeks - Work from anywhere (on EST hours) for up to four weeks a year
- Free lunch 1x per week
- Generous paid time off (PTO), inclusive of general PTO, 13 paid bank holidays and 2 days for volunteer work
- Summer Fridays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via JustWorks
- Parental leave
- Monthly cell phone data reimbursement
- Discounted gym memberships
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Continuous skills training tailored to your role
Derris provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
To ensure that applicants are matched with the job that best suits their qualifications and interests, information that you submit may be shared with our partners, BerlinRosen, Onward, Glen Echo Group, M18 and Inkhouse.
By providing your information, you are consenting to allow us and our partners to keep your information on file and to contact you regarding job opportunities, recruitment events and other related updates.