Account Director Job Description
Derris is a brand consultancy headquartered in New York City and London. We approach our work methodically, telling stories with universal impact through strategy, positioning, content and communications. We challenge conventional thinking and seek to work with people who have an open mind for new ideas. We have a dual-pronged approach: first we help clients shape their message and then we help them communicate that story through media, only working with people, companies and causes we believe in.
Derris is looking for an Account Director that will be responsible for overseeing the strategic planning and day-to-day tactical execution on a variety of clients, as well as internal leadership initiatives and responsibilities. Furthermore, we are looking for candidates passionate about contributing to creating a unique company culture.
Derris is here to help build great brands. From lifestyle and fashion, to food, health & wellness, home & hospitality, technology, non-profit, finance, real estate, sports and more -- we work with both new and established companies to develop narratives that stand out in cluttered industries. We create unique messaging and execute strategic media relations programs that blend traditionally separate practice areas to offer clients a holistic approach to both consumer and business storytelling. A few of the clients on our roster include: Warby Parker, Equinox, SoulCycle and Variis, Madewell, Reformation, Everlane, Good American, Harry's, Hinge, Imaginary Ventures, Juxtapose, Sonder, and CAVA.
- Serve as strategic lead for clients, leading the team within client strategy sessions and driving the compilation of strategy documents
- Serve as main contact for sensitive client problem solving and crisis mitigation
- Oversee and support team pitching efforts across broadcast, print and online
- Maintain strong media relationships and secure feature coverage across applicable business and consumer verticals
- Support the team with tactical news creation and problem solving
- Maintain pulse on client industry news and media updates within, bringing fresh ideas to the table to increase client awareness and earned media impact
- Adhere to deadlines and deliver work on time
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally across accounts
- Proactively identify client needs and business opportunities
- Participate in new business meetings and pitches as applicable
- Guide junior staff members and oversee all client activity and press materials
- As part of our Senior Leadership Team, be actively engaged in developing company culture; improving team morale, managing workload and contributing to the company’s growth as a whole
- Begin to manage a limited number of Direct Reports, increasing in scope over time
- 8-10 years Public Relations experience - agency experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or related field preferred
- Proven track record of media relations experience
- Skilled at creating pitches, strategies and talking points
- Experience in leading client relationships
- Experience in managing a team, experience managing Direct Reports preferred
- Ability to think through communication strategies and deliver tangible results
- Ability to write stylistically and shift writing styles based on client deliverables and internal meetings
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal
- Comfortable working across a variety of industries and clients
Benefits of Working for Derris
While currently remote, our Manhattan office is located in the Flatiron neighborhood of the city and is an easy commute from most train lines. We work in a beautiful, open space with natural light and communal working areas that provide access to all levels of the organization.
The cornerstone of our company is our culture — where we place a large amount of emphasis on growth, collaboration and professional development. We offer top-notch benefits and perks. From summer Fridays, catered lunches, and discounted gym memberships to company-sponsored sabbaticals, wellness and mentorship programs, we value and facilitate a fully inclusive and holistic employment experience.
Derris provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.