Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
Our brand operates on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
We are currently hiring for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Developer Experience team. The Software Engineer is needed to ensure that our developers have the necessary tools, methods, and environment to enhance productivity and deliver the most commercial value possible. The DXE is the foundation for a successful engineering team. It will be imperative that you make it simple for development teams to focus on their highest purpose and provide the most value by solving, automating, and removing the daily struggles they face. You will be a key factor in propelling teams to new heights.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Front-End and other Backend Developers to understand problems and to design solutions.
- Produce high quality code which is well-structured and simple to understand.
- Embrace Agile methodologies .
- Engage in a culture of continuous improvement by attending events such as blameless post-mortems, architecture reviews and hack days.
- Collaborate on a daily basis with fellow developers to solve problems and write code.
- You’ll independently own an entire lifecycle of medium projects of moderate complexity.
- You have experience in JVM languages. We use Scala, so if you are interested in the language or have prior experience, it’s an added bonus.
- You proactively and independently find and solve problems of moderate complexity, but you are not afraid to proactively seek guidance or help from your peers.
- You have experience working with distributed systems.
- You consistently and thoroughly test written code and are comfortable diagnosing and solving problems in your area of expertise.
- You care about code quality, maintainability, scalability and security of the software you write.
- You work with your team to seek opportunities for improvements in the ways of working.
- You have experience managing CI/CD Pipelines
Bonus if you
- Have experience with the Play framework
- Worked with RDBMS, ideally Postgres, or NoSQL, ideally DynamoDB
- Have experience with event driven architectures, preferably using Kafka
- Used production AWS infrastructure, ideally with Terraform
- Have experience building scalable web applications
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI - you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives
- We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
- We'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
- Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
- In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats!
- All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee We waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop and also ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free using our team’s account