Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
Data is at the heart of what we do.
Data is a tight-knit, cross-functional team started in mid-2020 that has grown substantially over the past year to include over twenty individuals. With members in data science, engineering, stakeholder engagement and project management, the team is very active across both business and engineering domains supporting a wide range of marketing and core strategic initiatives.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing Data Engineering team, and help us build our analytics data platform. Our platform receives tens of thousands of requests every second; we’re looking to cut through the noise, leverage this vast data, and find value.
At Depop we treat data as one of our digital products, and the Data Engineering team serves as the gatekeeper between our data stack and our business stakeholders. You will work closely with people from a wide variety of domains within Depop, as well as our Insights, Analytics Engineers, MarTech and Data Platform Engineering teams. You will help manage our growing information needs and support analysis of increasingly complex business problems by building and promoting self-service tools and data best practices that will be used across the organisation, including taking ownership of our data transformation, batch infrastructure and exploration tools (dbt, Airflow, Databricks) and help build our data catalog and incident management tools (DataHub).
We’re building scalable and robust systems to harvest, process and analyse the vast data within our tech ecosystem. With an increasing demand to service other areas of the business, and ultimately our 25 million users, you’ll be at the forefront of pioneering Data-as-a-Service.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? We write about technology, people and smart engineering right here -https://engineering.depop.com/
We are working to shape the technical landscape of our new Analytics Platform, so you will be joining us at a very interesting time!
- You will play an integral role in owning initiatives for our new Analytics Platform - this includes developing new features in our data discovery and metadata management tools (DataHub), working with analysts to better understand their needs with self-serve data transformation tools (dbt, Databricks, Airflow), assist our product and analytics teams with their data needs in our experimentation platform.
- Design and develop automated data quality solutions as part of our data pipeline testing methodologies to ensure the highest levels of data integrity (if you worked with Great Expectations, soda-SQL, Deequ or similar, we’d love to hear from you!)
- Proactively identify and implement ways to improve data processes, discovery and ownership, navigating complex challenges as our data grows and becomes an integral piece of our business and product operations.
- Adding to a strong engineering culture, orientated on technical innovation, and professional development.
- Helping your team design systems that can ensure continued improvements to deployments speed of Data Engineers, Data Scientists & Analysts.
- Engage in continuous performance improvements of our analytics data platform and tools and work towards promoting company-wide best practices to allow for their scalable growth by striving for automation, writing clear documentation, tutorials and hosting training sessions.
- Successful end-to-end delivery of your team’s projects; from scoping and translating business requirements into plans, to design, implementation and maintenance, whilst coordinating with other teams (and engineers).
- Advanced knowledge in a high-level programming language (e.g. Python, Scala). You are experienced with software engineering best practices with a passion for writing high-quality code.
- Experience managing and developing batch pipelines with workflow management tools such as Airflow.
- Passionate about working on a self-service data platform and playing an integral role in designing and creating tools to increase user productivity and velocity across our data organisation.
- Following software engineering best practices, such as testing, clean coding standards, code reviews, pair programming, automation-first mindset.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and able to respond to change or uncertainty with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- A strong sense of ownership, autonomy and a highly organised nature.
- You have a passion for learning new things and keeping on top of the latest developments and technologies in our field. We take pride in our learning and make sure to have dedicated time set aside for our growth and development (we offer personal development time and other platforms to share knowledge with your peers!).
- Feel comfortable expressing one’s opinion whilst being open-minded to listen to your peer’s point of view.
- Have productionised open-source data tools, including setting up CI/CD pipelines, IaC (Terraform), version control, performance management, technical documentation authoring.
- Working with Real-time streaming - Kafka, ksql
- Previous experience working with Spark.
- An understanding of modern data-warehouses (such as Redshift, Snowflake), data modelling best practices and how to optimise query performance.
- Knowledge of AWS data solutions such as Redshift, S3, Athena, Glue, EMR.
- Experience working with Docker, Kubernetes.
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees' wellbeing. We offer healthcare, an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme), a cycle to work scheme, weekly yoga sessions, a discounted gym membership and eye-care vouchers.
- Mental Health: Our employees' mental health is a top priority. We offer Headspace access and subsidised coaching and counselling appointments. We also have trained mental health first aiders available.
- Work/Life Balance: We offer a hybrid working model to provide a healthy work/life balance for our employees. We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
- Family Life: We offer flexible working, generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies, which include adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. We also offer life insurance, a pension scheme and parent and carer support.
- Office Life: We provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee in our offices. All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials, such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.