Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
A newly created role, this is a mid-senior role that will be responsible for statutory and external reporting within the Finance team. Following the recent Etsy acquisition, the company compliance and reporting requirements have scaled beyond statutory UK filings, and now require group reporting. Working alongside our internal Financial Accountant and finance operations team, the successful candidate shall be responsible for planning and producing the necessary group reporting and statutory accounts, whilst also supporting statutory audits for the UK, US and Australian entities. With part of this work already outsourced, we do not expect that the successful candidate will have direct experience in every single aspect of US, UK, AU reporting but we are looking for a proactive and organised individual that will be able to switch between hands-on action and strategic planning with the help of our advisory teams.
We’re looking for an experienced, practical individual who is prepared to work as part of a team but with the confidence to work autonomously and lead the existing team for this critical area. Although there is existing, standardised financial reporting to support, improve and scale, Depop is currently transitioning reporting to the level expected of a US public listed company which provides the opportunity for the successful candidate to critically assess and form a strategic roadmap towards.
- Holistic review of our statutory and group reporting process, including the assessment of outsource vs in-house execution and improvements of related processes.
- Collaborate with external and group partners to complete local and international filings and review to ensure accuracy and timely completion.
- Lead the preparation of the Consolidated Financial Statements & group reporting required by parent
- Leads the internal preparation for the external audit, working with the team to plan and produce the audit files, policy documentation and walkthroughs in a timely and an accurate manner.
- Manages the relationship with the external auditors with the Head of Finance to ensure the audit is as efficient as possible resulting in an excellent audit report.
- Works with the rest of the Finance team to follow up on audit observations, ensuring consistency of approach and high standards of audit files, driving high levels of individual accountability, engagement and development.
- Participate in the coordination and preparation of the information required for the quarterly reports (10-Q), annual reports (10- K) and current reports (8-K) for the parent company.
- Assist with technical accounting research and documentation of new policies and procedures.
- Assist with establishment, documentation, and maintenance of company accounting policies.
- Review and, where necessary, assist with the disclosures for the separate subsidiary year-end financial statements.
- You will be an ambitious, dedicated individual that is excited about the opportunity to develop in a fast-paced global business that is constantly changing.
- Technically strong accounting skills and confident with financial reporting, with ideally both UK & US GAAP or IFRS exposure.
- Approximately 6 years PQE ACA/ACCA qualified with experience of working in a similar role within a fast-paced business.
- Able to convey in original written correspondence and reports, complex technical matters in a clear and concise manner, adapted to the needs of technical and non-technical clients.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of accounting methods and techniques and the ability to apply both in problem solving.
- Skills in leadership and team building, organising, planning, controlling, coordinating, and delegating to effectively manage and develop staff, and achieve organisational goals.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and internal controls.
- Results-oriented approach, with the ability and to make independent decisions with a solutions-driven approach
- Proven track record of balancing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, able to work in an agile manner and prioritise an ongoing list of tasks
- Willingness and ability to perform tasks at all levels, from detailed preparation to high level review and strategic planning.
- Good communicator & team player with the ability to coordinate and influence cross-functionally with external and non-finance partners.
- Experience with US parent company, or post-acquisition environments
- Experience in managing the coordination and preparation of financial statements and disclosures on Forms 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Experience in managing our Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Workday or Netsuite experience is beneficial
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees' wellbeing. We offer healthcare, an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme), a cycle to work scheme, weekly yoga sessions, a discounted gym membership and eye-care vouchers.
- Mental Health: Our employees' mental health is a top priority. We offer Headspace access and subsidised coaching and counselling appointments. We also have trained mental health first aiders available.
- Work/Life Balance: We offer a hybrid working model to provide a healthy work/life balance for our employees. We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
- Family Life: We offer flexible working, generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies, which include adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. We also offer life insurance, a pension scheme and parent and carer support.
- Office Life: We provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee in our offices. All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials, such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.