Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in Manchester, New York and LA, and have more than 16 million registered users in 147 countries.
We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps (the only European player to do so).
And we’re just getting started.
We’re searching for an Android Engineer to join our Manchester Engineering team. In this role, you will help to help achieve our mission: transforming the way Depop connects with creative minds, by constantly delivering great user experiences on their Android devices. We're looking for someone who's eager to produce the most evocative buying and selling experience possible.
We keep investing in our technology, as well as the software architecture, and we achieve this through 3 core principles:
- We believe Kotlin is a great choice for writing robust and elegant code, but we also look for other functional languages which can inspire us.
- We believe applying solid architecture principles makes a huge difference when it comes to designing our features, supporting many engineers working on the same codebase.
- We believe in automation and we apply this in many parts of our release pipeline, giving us more time to work on features whilst celebrating a new version of our app every two weeks.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Design and implement new user-facing features in the Depop app
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Write unit tests and instrumentation tests and integrate them into our CI environment to ensure the quality of code going forward.
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Optimise the performance of the app to ensure that we have a minimum memory, CPU and data footprint.
- Educate the Depop family on the engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices with varying screen sizes, orientations and densities.
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on what we can do to make the Depop Android app better.
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Help make our app support tablets and orientation changes properly in the future.
- Integration of new SDKs when required within the app.
- Experience of Android and Java/Kotlin programming with the responsibility for shipping at least one well regarded Android application.
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and multi-threading.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Ideally BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Experience with Android modules.
- Understanding of Retrofit 2 for ease of integration with Http requests.
- Continuous Integration and automated testing preferably using Espresso and JUnit.
- Understanding of the Android Architecture components, Room.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
Pay, Perks, and Such:
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
Financial: We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees' wellbeing. We offer healthcare, an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme), a cycle to work scheme, weekly yoga sessions, a discounted gym membership and eye-care vouchers.
- Mental Health: Our employees' mental health is a top priority. We offer Headspace access and subsidised coaching and counselling appointments. We also have trained mental health first aiders available.
- Work/Life Balance: We offer a hybrid working model to provide a healthy work/life balance for our employees. We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
- Family Life: We offer flexible working, generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies, which include adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. We also offer life insurance, a pension scheme and parent and carer support.
- Office Life: We provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee in our offices. All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials, such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.