- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Product, Design & User Research at Depop;
As Depop’s user base grows and our service evolves, providing a great user experience is one of our key priorities. At the center of this, leading the evolution and improvement of Depop’s user experience, is Depop’s Design team.
Working in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment, the Design team is focused on both the functional and delightful, inspired by a creative and expressive fashion community. We are a multidisciplinary team, built on close collaboration between Product Designers, User Researchers, UX Writers and Design Ops Specialists. Our process combines design thinking and agile development to understand our users, explore and design product initiatives through collaborative tools.
We’re looking for a Lead UI Designer with a deep affiliation for visual and brand design to help create the fashion experience our users desire.
As Lead UI Designer, your ultimate role is to redefine and evolve Depop’s product UI language and design system to improve Depop’s user experience across our native apps and the web. You will lead our design system team and collaborate with product designers (in your team and in product teams), UX writers, brand designers, front-end engineers, UX researchers and product managers in exploring avenues to evolve and reimagine the UI of Depop’s user experience, developing design principles, rationalising existing components and patterns, and introducing new ones.
On the way, you’ll use your wide spectrum of design skills from interaction & UI design through visual design and motion design to brand design, to explore concepts, create mockups, animations and prototypes.
Through an iterative and collaborative process you will drive the creation of a useful, usable, and delightful UI language and a design system in Figma and work with product designers and front-end engineers to ensure designs and implementation are consistent with the design system and UI components in code libraries reflect the design system.
- Reimagine and evolve Depop’s product UI language to extend brand visual identity
- Develop and define design and visual expression principles
- Drive the rationalisation and extension of our product design system to create a useful, usable, and delightful design system in Figma
- Lead the process of reviewing and redesigning existing components and patterns, and introducing new ones
- Work with product designers and front-end engineers to ensure designs and implementation are consistent with the design system
- Work with front-end engineers to ensure UI components in code libraries reflect the design system
- Track and measure quality (e.g consistency) and reuse metrics across design deliverables and implementation
- Lead and mentor other designers
- Creating product design systems from brand visual identity systems
- Developing design and visual expression principles
- Collaborating with front-end engineers and QAs to implement components libraries in production code
- Leading UI design across the web, iOS and Android and delivering projects to market
- Leading and collaborating with product designers and product managers, on mobile and web applications design
- Working with agile, lean and iterative development processes
- Managing or mentoring junior / mid level designers
- Ability to create elegant, simple and delightful UI designs
- Expert understanding of native and web UI best practices
- Expert understanding of multi screen design for iOS and Android
- Expert understanding of web responsive design patterns
- Good understanding of human computer interaction principles
- Expert knowledge of Figma design system features
- Excellent motion design skills and proficiency in using prototyping tools (Figma, Protopie, Principle or equivalent)
- Proficiency in visual and brand design
- A portfolio showing thoughtful, high quality product, design system and UI style development work
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end design process
- Ability to facilitate workshops and conduct usability testing
- Ability to argue compellingly about design proposals
- Naturally collaborative and supportive
- Able to give and take design critique constructively
- Inquisitive and eager to continuously improve and learn
- Obsessive about good design
- Passion for craft
- An effective, articulate communicator
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eyecare vouchers and a discounted gym membership at Nuffield Health.
- Mental Health: Our employees mental health is a top priority. We offer subsidised counseling appointments with a qualified therapist through SelfSpace, we have trained mental health first aiders and we also run yoga, meditation and more.
- Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees
- Family life: We offer flexible working (based on the team you will be joining), generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies which includes adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. Also, all of our offices are dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.