Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA. We have more than 20 million registered users in 147 countries. In the UK, 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered and in the US we have grown 300% over two years. We are also the only European player to have recently entered the top 25 shopping apps by daily active users.
Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people are dedicated to serving the needs of our global community.
We operate on three pillars:
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Reporting into the Financial Controller, this is a broad role that will be responsible for statutory, external and tax reporting within the Finance team. As Depop grows, so do our compliance and tax requirements. Working alongside our internal management accountants and finance operations team, the successful candidate shall be responsible for executing on all aspects of tax reporting and statutory accounting for the UK, US and Australian entities. With part of this work already outsourced, this role will be responsible for producing the necessary reporting for recurring in-house compliance (such as VAT, CIT etc), statutory filings and working with our management accountants on proactive, international or advisory work.
We’re looking for an experienced, practical individual who is prepared to work as part of a team but with the confidence to work autonomously and take ownership for this critical area. Although there is a lot of standardised tax and financial reporting to own and scale, the digital industry is seeing a huge amount of change, which will also provide the opportunity for the successful candidate to critically assess and form a strategic plan for. As a result, we do not expect that the successful candidate will have direct experience in every single aspect of compliance and tax - but we are looking for a proactive and organised individual that will be able to switch between hands-on compliance and strategic planning with the help of our advisory teams. You will be an ambitious, dedicated individual that is excited about the opportunity to develop in a fast-paced global business that is constantly changing.
- Holistic review of our statutory reporting and compliance process, including the assessment of outsource vs in-house preparation and how we manage in-house planning.
- Proactive analysis of domestic and international statutory and compliance requirements in line with the business plan and further global expansion.
- Staying ahead of changing regulations and working to ensure full compliance.
- Collaborate with external partners to complete local and international filings and review to ensure accuracy and timely completion.
- Overseeing & reviewing the completion of US Sales tax filings
- Executing on our response to Marketplace Facilitator Tax, including submission of sales tax returns in all eligible States in the US
- Reviewing US corporation tax and any relevant US filing requirements such as 1099K submissions.
- Review and planning for any required tax compliance, both corporate and indirect, as we continue to expand globally - with key focus being Australia.
- Execute on and assist with any required business tax registrations and outcomes from planning & advisory work.
- Overseeing the strategic development of group transfer pricing policy, alongside advisory input
- Responsible for preparing VAT returns and associated submissions, in both the UK and Europe
- Preparation of the R&D Tax credit claims, working cross-functionally with the business and also external consultants
- Preparation, review and submission of the UK Corporation tax returns
Statutory Accounts & Audit:
- Responsible for the preparation of the Consolidated Financial Statements (UK GAAP and IFRS)
- Leads the internal preparation for the external audit, working with the team to plan and produce the audit files, policy documentation and walkthroughs in a timely and an accurate manner.
- Manages the relationship with the external auditors alongside with the Financial Controller to ensure the audit is as short as possible resulting in an excellent audit report.
- Pro-actively seeks areas to improve both the overall Statutory Reporting process and the external audit and related internal processes.
- Works with the rest of the Finance team to follow up on audit observations, ensuring consistency of approach and high standards of audit files, driving high levels of individual accountability, engagement and development.
- Assist with IFRS conversion from UK GAAP alongside external consultants.
- 4+ years of experience with an audit background.
- Results-oriented approach, with the ability and to make independent decisions with a solutions-driven approach
- Proven track record of balancing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, able to work in an agile manner and prioritize an ongoing list of tasks
- Technically strong accounting skills and confident with financial reporting, with ideally both UK GAAP and IFRS exposure.
- Willingness and ability to perform tasks at all levels, from detailed preparation to high level review and strategic planning.
- Good communicator & team player with the ability to coordinate and influence cross-functionally with external and non-finance partners.
- Experience with project managing large scale process automation is a plus
- Learn and Grow: We want to give our people the opportunity to learn. We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
- Wellbeing: We care about our employees wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eyecare vouchers and a discounted gym membership at Nuffield Health.
- Mental Health: Our employees mental health is a top priority. We offer subsidised counseling appointments with a qualified therapist through SelfSpace, we have trained mental health first aiders and we also run yoga, meditation and more.
- Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism to allow you the opportunity to make a difference and we offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees
- Family life: We offer flexible working (based on the team you will be joining), generous maternity/paternity and parental leave policies which includes adoption and paid time off for fertility treatments. Also, all of our offices are dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Fun: We love to hang out with each other at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties to celebrate our successes. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more...we’ve taken this virtual for now!
Equality and Diversity Monitoring
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Depop recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce which reflects the wider population and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Under the Equality Act (2010), Depop must demonstrate that their recruitment processes are fair and that we are not discriminating against or disadvantaging anyone because of their age, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We need to ask applicants some questions to make sure that no one is being unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
We collect this information only for anonymised monitoring purposes to help the organisation look at the profile of individuals who apply, are shortlisted for and appointed to each vacancy. In this way, we can check that we are complying with the Equality Act (2010).
Under the Equality Act 2010 the definition of disability is if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Further information regarding the definition of disability can be found at: www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
Reasonable adjustments will be made available should you be invited to interview.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.