Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Australia. We have almost 20 million registered users in 147 countries. In the UK, 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered and in the US we have grown 300% over two years. We are also the only European player to have recently entered the top 25 shopping apps by daily active users.
Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people are dedicated to serving the needs of our global community.
We operate on three pillars:
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Read a little more about us Here
Depop is a rapidly scaling business and we’re on the hunt for a Scala Engineer to join our cross functional engineering teams.
Our Scala engineers are passionate about creating great software from their local environment through to production.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Front-End and other Backend Developers to understand problems and to design solutions.
- Produce high quality code which is well-structured and simple to understand that will be used by 1M+ active daily users
- Embrace agile methodologies
- Engage in a culture of continuous improvement by attending events such as book club, functional meet up, blameless post-mortems, architecture review, war games, hack days
- Collaborate on a daily basis with fellow developers to solve problems and write code
- You’ll own your code through its entire lifecycle, including deployment to production
- We love to work in Scala but would also like to hear from you if you have experience in other JVM languages.
- Experience building scalable web applications serving 10,000s of requests per second
- Experience working with RDBMS, ideally Postgres
- Ability to proactively find and solve complex problems independently, but also know when to seek guidance or help from your peers.
- A desire for continuous learning in software architecture, functional programming or other relevant disciplines.
- Experience with the Play framework, and DynamoDB
- Experience with event driven architectures, preferably using RabbitMQ
- Experience deploying code to production
- Experience in using production AWS infrastructure, ideally with Terraform
- Contribution to open-source libraries
- Tech blog posts
- Degree level knowledge of Computer Science or related technical field.
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
Financial: We match up to 6 percent on your pension based on qualified earnings and have retail discounts from benefithub.
Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.