Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA. We have more than 16 million registered users in 147 countries. In the UK, 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered and in the US we have grown 300% over two years. We are also the only European player to have recently entered the top 25 shopping apps by daily active users.
Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people are dedicated to serving the needs of our global community.
We operate on three pillars:
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Read a little more about us Here
Having closed our Series C, we’re looking for an experienced Financial Controller to support with the exciting growth of our business. This is a crucial senior role for the business that works very closely with the Finance Director, COO and external investors. In this role, you will be the go-to person for the day to day running of the business, responsible for all statutory compliance whilst also building out forward looking processes to support rapid international growth.
The successful candidate will be in charge of developing our Finance function with responsibilities ranging from day to day problem solving and KPI analysis, through to helping set the strategic financial agenda for the business. As a senior leader in the business, your role will play a significant part in contributing to our growth, with your recommendations flowing through to Board level and embedded across the whole platform.
No day is the same at Depop and the Financial Controller has exposure to all areas of the business, especially our investment areas of Marketing, Technology and International Growth. This role also includes building out the Compliance and AR/AP team, hiring and managing 4 reports. The successful candidate will thrive off our fun but fast-paced environment, they will be comfortable with challenging business decisions from a strategic viewpoint but also ready to be hands-on where needed.
- Hire, train and manage financial department staff, including management accountants and financial assistants
- Work with business stakeholder teams to correctly capture all incoming costs, including analysing the financial impact of campaigns and marketing costs.
- Streamlining the delivery process and finding efficiencies across all areas of the team.
- Opening & launching new entities as we expand overseas whilst working with our advisors to make sure our financial structure is optimised.
- Supporting the Finance Director with Board pack reporting & ad hoc investor requests.
- Lead the first audit process with our new auditors, ensuring proper compliance and best practice is met.
- Oversee payroll and employee remuneration schemes, including the administration and implementation of share options and new programmes.
- Lead the month end reporting schedule, delivering timely and accurate management accounts to the Board and external stakeholders.
- Oversee and review team preparation as part of monthly management - including journal posting, review and/or analysis for bookkeeping purposes
- Lead the year end process, with responsibility for all statutory filings and tax submissions, working with our international advisors where needed.
- Create systems and processes to prevent errors in data collection and calculations
- Ad-hoc project work including process improvements, best practice standardisation and cost optimisation across multiple areas
- Ideally 2 years post qualified within either ACCA, ACA or CA
- Solid working experience with Xero financial management system
- Excellent management, accounting and analytical skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong Excel skills, including the ability to build well-controlled spreadsheets and financial models. Additional skills with pivot tables and formulas is a bonus.
- Experience in reviewing month end journals
- Enjoy working with numbers with a detail-oriented mindset
- Thrive in dynamic, fast-paced environments
- Be comfortable presenting ideas to senior stakeholders and management
- Ability to critically challenge team members to deliver the best outcome for the finance department
- Previous experience within an E-commerce or Startup business
- Team management
- Working knowledge of Net suite or Spendesk
- Identifying and on-boarding a new technology within a firm
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
Financial: We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment.
Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.