Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA. We have more than 16 million registered users in 147 countries. In the UK, 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered and in the US we have grown 300% over two years. We are also the only European player to have recently entered the top 25 shopping apps by daily active users.
Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people are dedicated to serving the needs of our global community.
We operate on three pillars:
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Read a little more about us Here
Depop is on the hunt for a Senior Android Engineer to join our engineering team. You'll be working as part of a cross-functional team, developing new user facing features and transforming the way Depop connects with creative minds, by constantly delivering great user experiences on their Android devices.
Our codebase is Kotlin, we apply solid architecture principles and automation is applied in many aspects of our release pipeline, giving us more time to work on features whilst celebrating a new version of our app every week.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Design and implement new user-facing features
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Some line management and mentoring responsibility for junior engineers
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Communicate any engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on ways to improve
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Ideally BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Commercial experience with Kotlin
- Experience supporting the entire SDLC, from development to after release in order to monitor performance
- Experience with Mobile Continuous Integration
- Experience with Unit and Integration Testing
- Solid knowledge of Entity-Relational databases, specifically SQLite"
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science; such as multi-threading and applying structure whilst finding solutions - are you choosing the right tools for the problem in hand?
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
Financial: We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Depop Ltd, 08316342 ("Controller"), 9th Floor 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN (“We”, “Us”) and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under [either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield]. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment.
Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.