Who You Are:
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An organized educator with strong time management and follow-up skills and a demonstrated ability to problem solve and find solutions.
- A self-reflective and self-aware teammate who is dedicated to aligning their work with Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- An excellent communicator, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively to a variety of stakeholders.
- A strategic and data-driven problem-solver, who thinks critically and plans accordingly and who analyzes academic data consistently to ensure strategic use of instructional time and to accelerate learning of scholars.
- An experienced educator with expertise around scaffolding/remediation
- A strong and dedicated advocate for ensuring all scholars get the support they need for learning with a track record of rapidly advancing scholar achievement.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required).
What You’ll Do
- Address learning loss resulting from the national pandemic and the preexisting opportunity gap by ensuring additional academic support and programming are provided for Democracy Prep scholars both during and after the school day.
- Support teachers in the planning and execution of pre-unit pre-teaches to strategically cover power standards from previous grade-levels.
- Sit on the leadership teams at your campus to ensure strong tutoring blocks and implementation of curricular resources in support of addressing unfinished learning.
- Support the execution of a tutoring program that addresses scholars’ academic needs in literacy and math.
- Build, execute, monitor and feedback the systems needed to run a data-based and responsive tutoring and RTI system at your school.
- Plan and implement professional development that prepares teachers across content areas on:
- best practices for the execution of tutoring sessions
- strategies for differentiation
- methods for targeted and ambitious goal setting for scholars
- additional strategies teachers should be using in their classrooms to address unfinished learning
- Coordinate with CMO members focused on Learning Acceleration to maximize the impact of curriculum and lesson internalization at DPPS campuses.
- Observe, feedback and support remediation and just in time learning in conjunction with the principal and assistant principal
All Learning Intervention Coaches will be expected to run Saturday tutoring sessions on the following dates:
10/16/21 Saturday, Intersession #1
11/13/21 Saturday, Intersession #2
1/4/22 - 1/7/22 Winter Intersession
1/22/22 Saturday, Intersession #3
2/22/22-2/25/22 Spring Intersession
3/12/22 Saturday, Intersession #4
4/9/22 Saturday, Intersession #5
6/4/22 Saturday, Intersession #6
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
This is an ESSER funded role through the CARES ACT specifically added solely for the next two school years to support scholars and mitigate the effects of the crippling pandemic. This role is funded through the 2022-2023 school year and has a current end date of June 30, 2023. There may be opportunities to apply for other positions within the Democracy Prep network for 2023-2024 school year as available.
This role is based in New York City. Priority will be given to applications received before or on June 18, 2021.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.