About the Opportunity
The Academic Team is part of Democracy Prep’s Central Management Organization and works directly with school leaders and the Office of the Superintendent to drive scholar growth and ensure that all schools achieve their end-of-year goals. The role of a Curriculum & Instruction Specialist is to support school leaders across the region, observing classrooms, reviewing lesson plans, and analyzing assessment data. Through these structures the specialist identifies key levers that drive excellent academic outcomes and partners with school leaders to enact those levers.
Curriculum & Instruction Specialists meet regularly as a team, to share best practices and increase their own pedagogical expertise. Each specialist is an expert in at least one content area and works to grow their knowledge across content areas to better support each of their partner schools. Specialists also work together to analyze trends across partner schools and discuss which strategies have been most effective at improving instruction for scholars. This work informs the overall DPPS Academic vision, goals and priorities.
Finally, specialists ensure that curricular work products – including lesson plans and exams – are high quality, and consistently push the bar of what is possible for scholars. They will work to adapt, assess and ensure strong implementation of curriculum and assessments written by DPPS and other vendors.
Who You Are
- Comfortable providing academic feedback and support across content areas, with deep expertise in at least one content area.
- Fluent with all parts of academic pedagogy, including standards, assessments, lesson design and execution
- Quickly builds relationships and work collaboratively with different stakeholders, including school leaders, teachers and teammates
- Able to analyze data and identify levers to improve classroom instruction
- Honest, direct, and able to keep scholar learning at the forefront of your work
- Prioritizes between and manage multiple workstreams
- A constant learner who wants to continually grow in their understanding of academic pedagogy, standards and instruction
What You'll Do
- Meet regularly with school leaders, coaches and teachers to identify and enact instructional priorities at each of your partner schools.
- Conduct consistent, high-quality classroom observations, including vetting lesson plans, collecting concrete classroom data, and identifying strengths and key levers for observed teachers. Identify trends across classrooms and bring them to school leaders and the Academic team.
- Use data to identify areas that need support at each of your partner schools, as well as effective practices that should be shared and implemented across the network. Create and enact plans to address the areas that need remediation.
- Support schools in growing their academic and pedagogical expertise through a variety of means including professional development, lesson study groups, co-observations with school leaders, and directly supporting individual teachers.
- Identify and work to overcome stumbling blocks to high quality instruction in classrooms.
- Collaborate with the rest of the Academic team to enhance the entire team's knowledge of best practices in terms of instruction for each content area. Share expertise with the team at large about your content area expertise by leading professional development, assessing external materials, and sharing best practices from outside the network.
- Create and revise high quality, timely, and error free exams, units and lesson materials. Ensure that curricula are clear, well organized, and easily implementable by school partners.
Salary is commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.