About the Opportunity
The mission of our schools is to ensure that our scholars receive the most rigorous education. Core to achieving this mission is smooth operations that support all stakeholders’ ability to educate our scholars. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Regional Director of Operations, NY will lead a team of Directors of Operation (DOOs) supporting Democracy Prep New York Charter Schools, ensuring systematic, proactive, and efficient operations on behalf of scholars, families, staff, and the Democracy Prep network.
This role is based out of New York City. Priority will be given to applications submitted by May 28, 2021.
Who You Are
- An education equity advocate with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An experienced leader who can coach other team leaders and strategically balance direct support, motivation, and accountability.
- A data-driven leader who is comfortable with handling the research and communication necessary to find, create, or guide others to the perfect system.
- An exceptional project manager who is self-motivated to identify priorities, proactively engage peer network teams, delegate effectively, and regularly self-assess to ensure progress is consistent despite dynamically competing priorities.
- An exceptional organizer who can keep track of short- and long-term plans to make challenging decisions of prioritization on a daily basis.
What You’ll Do
- Lead your team of Directors of Operations by strategically developing their capacity to coach, plan, and follow-through via individual and team goal-setting, personalized coaching, thoughtful team exercises, data analysis and regular reflection.
- With the COO and Vice President of Operations, set the vision and goals for operations across the network and lead the execution of those goals for the NY region.
- Create and spearhead a year-long operational vision and schedule of collaboration across Democracy Prep network departments and your team that creates a unified and strategically well-organized approach to supporting our schools and school leaders.
- Cultivate and leverage relationships with New York school leaders in support of their operational needs and your team of DOOs, for whom school leaders contribute to their formal, bi-annual performance evaluations.
- Develop a multi-year scope and sequence plan for skills-based and leadership development programming that support a leadership pipeline initiative for school-based operations staff, including a balance of network-led professional development sessions, self-directed training resources for new staff, templates and exemplars, and coaching.
- Set priorities and a clear roadmap for your team to provide exceptional support of school operations in areas such as student enrollment, emergency preparedness, data management, compliance, meal service, attendance, arrival and dismissal, transportation, family engagement, facility cleanliness and decor, assessment administration, and supply and technology management.
- Scrutinize current, and create new, operational policies and procedures through the lens of equity, anti-racism, and Democracy Prep’s 5-year strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the Accountability and Compliance team, re-envision a data- and feedback-driven operational evaluation system to gather and analyze important data that guides school-level operations feedback and region- or network-level operational priority-setting.
- Coordinate the operational components of expansion of at least two NY-based Democracy Prep sites over the next few years.
- Lead the ongoing research and implementation of health and safety protocols at our NY locations, particularly in relation to COVID-19 prevention and response.
- Actively monitor the accuracy and completion of school data within state-required databases and internal information systems, and urgently problem-solve issues in collaboration with school and network teams.
- Prepare and analyze data reports and tools for your team, school and operations leaders, and your supervisors, and train your team to do the same.
- Develop, codify, and regularly update operational protocols, policies, and resources on our network-wide staff portal, The Crest.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.