About the Opportunity
The Director of Data Systems at Democracy Prep is principally responsible for managing our central data collection processes across the network, oversees the production and implementation of critical data systems/solutions for use by school-based teams, and leads our internal academic data reporting and analysis workstreams to support the needs of the network office. The Director coordinates a team of data support generalists and data systems specialists to help manage a range of custom-built data assets, and works as both strategic thought partner and implementation lead for the development of scalable solutions to meet the emerging data needs of our schools. In addition, the Director leverages their extensive knowledge of the K-12 environment to support interconnected processes ranging from external grant funding and state accountability reporting to internal SIS administration and professional development. The Director of Data Systems is a leader at the CMO and plays a key role in cultivating a culture of data-driven decision-making across the network.
This role is based in New York City. Priority will be given to applications submitted by April 30, 2021.
Who You Are
- A champion for data transparency, integrity, and practical use in the school setting
- A proven leader who has experience setting and implementing a vision for how data is used in the school setting
- A systems-level thinker with the ability to solve problems and build scalable solutions
- A subject matter expert who understands the nuances of K-12 academic and state exam data
- A spreadsheets guru with substantial expertise in manipulation of large datasets
- A technical leader capable of reworking complex formulas, querying databases and managing apps scripts
- A researcher with incredibly strong multitasking and project management skills
- A team player who loves to teach, learn, and invest in the professional development of others
- A bona fide techie with knowledge of one or more programming/query languages
- A college graduate with 5+ years of experience managing critical data processes
What You’ll Do
- Lead the effort to assess our organization’s data systems needs and coordinate the action steps necessary to ensure those needs are met
- Direct a team to execute on critical data systems development and deployment cycles, ensure that network leaders have readily available access to meaningful student outcome data, and meet the day to day data support needs of schools across the network
- At the request of the Senior Leadership team, assist with data visualizations to support strategic decision making
- Manage the setup and administration of our student information systems across multiple regions
- Support the Ed Tech Manager and coordinate with the Network IT team to ensure that instructional staff and students have seamless access to EdTech platforms
- Help maintain the technical integration of our student data with other critical data platforms and workstreams
- Collaborate regularly with teams across the CMO to identify high-level data system needs and find (or design) solutions to meet those needs
- Set policy and develop processes to both maximize the integrity and ensure the security of student data
- Serve as a thought partner for teams across the network looking to leverage student data in creative and innovative ways
- Coach and facilitate the professional development of data team members
- Work closely with IT on the selection and setup of education technology platforms
- Communicate important updates about data systems and processes to our schools and network staff
- Become an example of Democracy Prep’s ongoing commitment to being a data-driven organization, and motivate other teams to continue leveraging data in ways that enhance their respective workstreams
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.