About the Opportunity
The Executive Director (ED) will be the senior executive of the region and will be charged by Democracy Prep Public Schools (DPPS) and the Board of Directors with leading the establishment of Democracy Prep Schools to achieve breakthrough results for families and scholars in Baton Rouge, LA. The ED is responsible for the overall health of the charter as outlined by our charter and in service of our mission. The ED’s call to action is threefold:
- Fully understand their local context, and use this understanding to apply and adapt the Democracy Prep model to best serve the needs of the region.
- Reinforce the network’s overall strategic priorities.
- Ultimately ensure our scholars are provided a rigorous, safe, and structured learning environment.
Priority will be given to applications submitted by March 15, 2021.
Who You Are
- An education reformer who shares our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A master communicator, who is able to effectively interact and communicate with various stakeholder groups including families, students, staff, board members and the local community, including our authorizers and governmental entities.
- An experienced leader, with the ability to manage and motivate diverse stakeholders to achieve at high levels.
- A results-driven problem-solver, with the ability to set and use goals to guide action and objectively measure performance.
- A strategic systems-level thinker who is comfortable analyzing large amounts of data and identifying the key levers to pull in order to drive organizational change through multiple levels of leadership.
- An ambassador, who is politically savvy; understands the political environment as it relates to organizational priorities and exhibits professional diplomacy.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), Master's degree in education or other advanced degree preferred. School leadership experience preferred.
What You’ll Do
- Manage and evaluate the operation and functioning of schools consistent with Democracy Prep’s philosophy, mission, values, and goals and the expectations set out by the charter.
- Ensure school programs, policies, systems, and services are rigorous, high-quality and in alignment with Democracy Prep and local needs.
- Develop and manage a strong working relationship with our Board of Directors, our charter authorizer, and leaders at all levels of Democracy Prep.
- Build relationships and develop the strategy to get to growth potential of PK-12 and execute the strategic growth plans.
- Ensure consistent strong talent in each role through leading strategic workforce analysis to ensure strong talent pipelines to best meet organizational needs and goals.
- Oversee reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics and use these metrics to guide decision making.
- Support and develop the school-based leadership, including the Principal and Director of Operations, to be effective managers and supervisors. Problem-solve and offer guidance to these leaders with difficult situations. Coordinate region-wide events and leadership meetings to ensure clear communication across all schools in the region, particularly in regards to reopening and the response to the pandemic.
- Regularly assess all data as it relates to student, staff and organizational performance, and quickly and effectively identify key levers and strategically plan so that the organization improves as quickly as possible.
- Oversee financial and account activities, including the annual fundraising and working with DPPS to prepare periodic reports to the Board on the financial status of the schools, including charter, legal, and regulatory compliance.
- Identify and implement data-informed, innovative, disciplined, and continuously improving processes and systems for administrative and program teams.
- Equip and hold teams accountable for operating and measuring results under established processes, systems, and metrics.
- Develop strategic partnerships with allies, including families and external organizations, to further organizational goals, where appropriate.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a comprehensive benefits package and the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.