The world’s largest and fastest-growing companies such as Accenture, Adobe, DocuSign and Salesforce rely on Demandbase to drive their Account-Based Marketing strategy and maximize their B2B marketing performance. We pioneered the ABM category nearly a decade ago, and today we lead the category as an indispensable part of the B2B MarTech stack. Our achievements and innovation would not be possible without the driven and collaborative teams here at Demandbase. As a company, we’re as committed to growing careers as we are to building word-class technology. We invest heavily in people, our culture and the community around us, and have continuously been recognized as one of the best places to work in the Bay Area.
The Company is experiencing rapid growth in the US and Internationally leading to a constantly changing set of new challenges and requirements. We have reached a size and scale (Approx. 300 employees and $100M during 2019) that we need to enhance our Finance function to keep up and grow.
We are looking for an experienced Assistant Controller. Reporting to the Corporate Controller, you will manage a team of accountants, and be a part of the overall Finance Management team (which includes the CFO and Sr. Director of FP&A). This will expose you to how an overall business operates and the decisions, analysis, challenges and processes of a successful company.
This is a new role as part of an ongoing effort to enhance our Finance team’s capabilities, influence and support of the business as a result of our growth across multiple dimensions. This will be a very exciting and challenging position as there are many changes occurring across the business which will require both accounting and business understanding as well as the ability to work across departments. All of this leads to a tremendous opportunity to learn about Demandbase from the bottom up and be a key part of shaping the department for years to come.
While accounting operations will be the primary responsibility, you will have the opportunity to participate in some FP&A discussions and work, particularly if you demonstrate the desire and drive to take on additional work on an occasional/project basis.
We are looking for an experienced individual who is getting ready for the next step in their career. This role should position a candidate to be a Controller at a growing SaaS company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage day-to-day operational functions, initially including accounts payable and Avalara sales/use tax returns.
- Assist with revenue recognition and stock options.
- Lead the monthly close process, including bank/GL account reconciliations.
- Coordinate with FP&A in the preparation of budget vs actuals analyses.
- Publish monthly consolidated financial statements.
- Support external auditors and tax accountants.
- Participate and contribute to the Finance Management team, including attending key meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ experience as a Senior Accountant or Assistant Controller at an enterprise SaaS company, with overall responsibility for corporate-level functions (preferably financial reporting and monthly close).
- Solid knowledge of GAAP.
- Experience with SaaS revenue recognition a must
- Detailed understanding of financial statements (Balance Sheet Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow) and how they relate to one another and their preparation.
- Deep understanding of all Accounting functions including AP, AR, billing, collections, payroll, T&E, stock option administration, sales/use taxes, income tax returns/provisions, etc even if you have not directly performed the tasks in each.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial management processes (budgeting, monthly closing, financial reporting etc.)
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field.
Things that will help you be successful in this role:
- Command of MS Office (especially excel).
- Understand the concept of GAAP versus non-GAAP reporting & reconciliation.
- Data analysis/management/transformation capabilities.
- Understanding of forecasting and how FP&A interacts with Accounting.
- The ability to think about the future and stay ahead of the curve smartly and efficiently is important. Having worked in a dynamic company that went through fast change will be helpful for keeping things in perspective and for anticipating.
- Experience at a SaaS company ($25MM-$200MM revenue range).
- Intaact and/or Avalara experience
- Business systems administration
- SQL/report-writing skills would be ideal
- Professional certification (CPA) is a plus
Adaptability: Priorities will be constantly changing and new things will arise that were unanticipated. You will be challenged to continually adapt and will learn an immense amount in a short time. Having the attitude and personality to roll with these are among the keys for success.
Process Orientation: The processes across the company are changing rapidly and we need to constantly adapt to changes in the way the operations need to be effective. We also need to help create these processes which are necessary for running a successful larger (potentially public) company, with a control-oriented growth culture.
Interpersonal Skills: The position will have visibility cross functionally and some external facing responsibilities (primarily with reporting). Interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with people at every level of the organization, are critical to success.
Why join us?
- Be part of a rapidly-growing, pre-IPO company
- Opportunity to extend our ABM leadership position and fast-track innovation behind AI-powered Account-Based Marketing solutions
- Drive the next generation of intelligent CRM technologies and invent how Artificial Intelligence, product design, and applications converge
- Have the flexibility of a start up with the security of a sizable, well-funded organization
Demandbase is the leader in Account-Based Marketing (ABM) and an indispensable part of the B2B tech stack. The company offers the only end-to-end ABM platform that helps B2B marketers identify, win and grow the accounts that matter most. The biggest and fastest growing companies in the world, such as Accenture, Adobe, DocuSign, GE, Salesforce and others rely on Demandbase to drive their ABM strategy and maximize their marketing performance. The company has been named to the JMP Securities list “The Hot 100: The Best Privately Held Software Companies,” the Deloitte Fast 500 and named a Gartner Cool Vendor for Tech Go-To Market. In 2019, Demandbase executives authored the definitive book on ABM, Account-Based Marketing: How to Target and Engage the Companies That Will Grow Your Revenue. For more information, please visit www.demandbase.com or follow the company on Twitter @Demandbase.
Our benefits include 100% paid for Medical, Dental and Vision for you and your entire family, short-term/long-term disability, life insurance, flexible vacation policy, 401k, commuter benefits, free snacks, catered lunch every Friday, chair massages, weekly yoga and much more!