The Well Living Lab (WLL) is looking for a Research intern (up to 5 months) to perform innovative research studies to understand how features of the indoor environment affect human health and well-being. This position leverages the unique opportunity and collaboration between Delos and Mayo Clinic upon which the lab is built. This person will work closely with the Well Living Lab Research Team, Well Living Lab Technology Team members, and the rest of the Well Living Lab team to conduct multidisciplinary research at the lab. In this position, you will have the opportunity to work with our cutting-edge technology in the lab to conduct our ongoing research supporting the operation, maintenance, and enhancements to the building infrastructure, environmental control and monitoring equipment, and other research and technical capabilities of the Well Living Lab.
- Work collaboratively with the WLL Research Team to conduct human subjects research studies to understand how the features of the indoor environment affects cognition, stress, and other measures of emotional wellbeing
- Work closely with the WLL Research Team to perform calibration, maintenance, and inventory management of the built environmental sensors and reference equipment
- Contribute to the evaluation, maintenance and enhancement of the building MEP system, environmental control system, and the related measurement devices and data collection system
- Work with our Technology team to develop and support the technologies that meet the requirements and specifications of current and future WLL research projects
- Responsible for the collection and analysis of study data for research purpose
- College undergraduate Juniors or above; Bachelor’s degree or above, in one or more of the following fields:
- Building science
- Architectural engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Any other related degree
- Programming experience in Java, C, C#, Python, MATLAB or other similar programming languages
- Understanding of built environment and building physics, including heat and mass transfer, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and acoustics
- Ability to thrive in self-managed and team-based work
- Enthusiasm to learn, use, and develop innovative research skills, technologies, and tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and effective time management skills
- Prior experience in building HVAC system design, operation and control
- Knowledge of subject-centered built environmental control
- Knowledge of whole building performance evaluation using experiment or simulation approaches
- Knowledge of IT technologies, sensor networks, electrical hardware, and AI methodologies
- Experience working in a research and multidisciplinary team setting
- Creativity - there's always a way; sometimes we just haven't found it yet.
Applicants are selected based upon their qualifications for this position and without regard to the applicant’s race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital or partnership status, citizenship or alienage status, veteran status, whether children are, may be or would be residing with a person, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About the Well Living Lab:
The Well Living Lab, a Delos and Mayo Clinic collaboration, was created to research the real-world impact of indoor environments on human health and well-being and generate evidence-based information that can be used in practical ways to create healthier indoor spaces. For more information about the Lab, visit www.welllivinglab.com.
As the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™ and founder of the WELL Building Standard®, Delos is transforming our homes, offices, schools, and other indoor environments by placing health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. The Delos platform includes research, consulting, merchandising, and programming and licensing innovative solutions for the built environment, creating spaces that nurture and promote human health and wellbeing.
Exploring the intersection between humans and the built environment, Delos creates spaces that actively contribute to human health, performance and wellbeing by marrying the best innovations in technology, health, science, design, and enterprise. We see the built-environment as an asset to maximize human-potential and envision environments that enhance us. Environments that are proactive, enabling us to live better by cultivating better lifestyle choices and by solving health problems before they are created. We have broadened the scope of environmental sustainability, extending the concept beyond the best of green technology to an integrated solution that addresses human sustainability.
Our mission is to build a better world. Join us.
For additional information, please visit us at www.delos.com