The Well Living Lab is seeking an experienced Biomedical Engineer Scientist to conduct original research on the effects of the built environment on human health and well-being. The biomedical engineer will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of researchers, technology staff, operations staff, scientific experts, and academic and industry partners. The Well Living Lab is a unique partnership between Delos and Mayo Clinic; scientific collaborations and an academic appointment within Mayo Clinic are an intrinsic part of the position.
The Well Living Lab is seeking candidates with exceptional scientific training and accomplishments and deep knowledge of relevant methodology to conduct research on the impact of the environment on human health, evaluate and develop physiological measures, and consult with academic and industry partners. In doing so, the biomedical engineer is expected to actively contribute to the Well Living Lab’s primary objective of broadening the scientific and practical understanding of how indoor environments and human behavior interact to impact health and wellness. Specifics include but are not limited to:
- Leverage the unique resources of the Well Living Lab and Mayo Clinic to lead the development of innovative methods for monitoring and improving one’s health.
- Generate, design, plan and execute research protocols and develop standard operating procedures for the testing, calibration and application of wearables and biometric devices.
- Procure, maintain and calibrate wearables, biometric devices and reference devices.
- Direct the collection, management and analysis of data generated by biometric devices while using advanced statistical methods.
- Actively collaborate with scientists, and physicians within Mayo Clinic and outside the Well Living Lab.
- Present and publish original research findings to academic audiences.
- Integrate the Lab’s state-of-the-art research into broader platforms and frameworks.
- Actively contribute to shared learnings in the Well Living to maintain cutting edge status in a rapidly evolving field.
Candidate Profile & Prerequisites:
- Completion of a PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Physiology, Biomechanics, Bioinformatics or a related field. Completion of at least 2 years of post-doctoral training in an academic research laboratory. An exceptional research background and demonstrated track record of knowledge of the effect of environment on
- Cognitive performance and productivity
- Stress and resiliency
- Habit formation
- Strong skills and experience developing and leading research projects.
- Experience working with human subjects.
- Experience working with sensors, wearables and clinical devices.
- Deep understanding of medical, scientific, or clinical research techniques and principles.
- Experience planning, executing, and reporting human research studies.
- Experience with IRB protocol writing and submission.
- Experience collecting, processing and analyzing physiological sensor data.
- Experience with sensor calibration and validation.
- Experience working with large datasets and statistical programming.
- Programming experience – Python, C, C++, Matlab, R.
- Demonstrated track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at conferences.
- Genuine interest in understanding how the environment can improve health and well-being.
- A positive attitude, open mind, and a desire to collaborate with and learn from a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated interpersonal flexibility and resiliency in conflict resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of organizations and with external audiences.
- High level organizational and project management skills to handle multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to lead a project team of various skills levels and different backgrounds.
- Experience in grant writing and a successful track record in grant awards is preferred.
Compensation: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included for full-time employees.
Applicants are selected based upon their qualifications for this position and without regard to the applicant’s race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital or partnership status, citizenship or alienage status, veteran status, whether children are, may be or would be residing with a person, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™ and founder of the WELL Building Standard™, Delos is transforming our homes, offices, schools, and other indoor environments by placing health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. The Delos platform includes technology, research, consulting, merchandising, and programming and licensing innovative solutions for the built environment, creating spaces that nurture and promote human health and wellbeing.
Exploring the intersection between humans and the built environment, Delos creates spaces that actively contribute to human health, performance and wellbeing by marrying the best innovations in technology, health, science, design, and enterprise. We see the built-environment as an asset to maximize human-potential and envision environments that enhance us. Environments that are proactive, enabling us to live better by cultivating better lifestyle choices and by solving health problems before they are created. We have broadened the scope of environmental sustainability, extending the concept beyond the best of green technology to an integrated solution that addresses human sustainability.
About the Well Living Lab:
The Well Living Lab, a Delos and Mayo Clinic collaboration, was created to research the real-world impact of indoor environments on human health and wellbeing, and generate evidence-based information that can be used in practical ways to create healthier indoor spaces. For more information about the Lab, visit www.welllivinglab.com.
Our mission is to build a better world. Join us.
For additional information, please visit us at www.delos.com