The Research Director will provide leadership in research strategy and operations at the Well Living Lab (WLL) in Rochester MN. The candidate will be an innovative and accomplished scientist with a strong record of multidisciplinary collaboration and leadership/management. The Research Director will be responsible for guiding the overall research agenda of the WLL and providing direction, management and mentorship to the WLL scientists. The candidate should have a proven track record of publication and securing funding opportunities.Given the WLL research framework of Discovery/Translation/Application, the candidate will ideally have experience working in settings that move discoveries and insights to societal impact/the market.
The Research Director functions as a WLL scientist, contributing his/her vast expertise in health science or building science across the research pipeline, from idea to hypothesis generation and protocol definition to study execution, data analysis and publication and communication of results at key academic and industry venues. In addition, they will interface with the WLL Scientific Advisory Board, WLL Alliance companies engaged in research and with academic and industry collaborators. The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly dynamic, multidisciplinary and collaborative work environment.
- Works closely with WLL leadership and operations staff, WLL scientists and associates, investigators, Mayo Clinic, Delos and external collaborators.
- Interacts with the WLL Scientific Advisory Board and WLL Alliance companies.
- Shares research strategy and operational input with WLL in Beijing, China and other international WLLs as they are identified.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Drive development and execution of research strategy with research team members.
- Lead and mentor a multidisciplinary research team.
- Collaborate closely with other WLL functions such as technology and operations.
- Interface with WLL parent companies, Delos and Mayo Clinic, to ensure strategic alignment.
- Contribute to the generation of intellectual property at the WLL.
- Actively seek external sources of funding through grants, awards and collaboration with industry and academic partners.
- Interface with the WLL Scientific Advisory Board, WLL Alliance companies and other academic and industry partners.
- Stay abreast of scientific advances and help to translate these into research initiatives and methods/tools to ensure that the WLL is a state-of-the-art lab.
- Develop a WLL research network, connecting with relevant academic and industry collaborators to advance the lab’s mission.
- Ph.D. in a building or health science field. Strongly preferred in a multidisciplinary area that combines some of the aforementioned fields.
- Significant experience leading and executing research projects including managing and mentoring the research efforts and careers of others.
- Sustained record of publications in leading peer reviewed journals at a national/international level.
- Sustained record of research collaboration and funding from external academic, government and/or industry.
- Sustained record of research funding as appropriate to the discipline. Experience in writing grants to funding agencies, non-profit organizations/foundations and/or industry.
- Reputation as an accomplished scientist in field of practice and/or multidisciplinary collaborator.
Required Experience and Attributes
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and broad understanding of multidisciplinary innovative research design, execution, analysis methodologies, and publication.
- Evidence of recognized administrative experience in higher education, research organizations or industry R&D. Successful track record for managing research operations and generating results.
- Leadership style that facilitates teamwork, alignment and collaboration among multidisciplinary team members and leadership.
- Skilled in research methods, tools and reporting and demonstrated effective program management methodologies.
- Experience in designing and conducing human subject research studies with IRB oversight.
- Strong track record of industry, government and/or academic funding.
- Exceptional critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fluid, complex, dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal flexibility and resiliency in conflict resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of organizations and with external audiences.
- Leadership experience in professional and/or academic organizations.
About the Well Living Lab:
The Well Living Lab, a Delos and Mayo Clinic collaboration, was created to research the real-world impact of indoor environments on human health and wellbeing, and generate evidence-based information that can be used in practical ways to create healthier indoor spaces. For more information about the Lab, visit www.welllivinglab.com.
As the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™ and founder of the WELL Building Standard®, Delos is transforming our homes, offices, schools, and other indoor environments by placing health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. The Delos platform includes research, consulting, merchandising, and programming and licensing innovative solutions for the built environment, creating spaces that nurture and promote human health and wellbeing.
Exploring the intersection between humans and the built environment, Delos creates spaces that actively contribute to human health, performance and wellbeing by marrying the best innovations in technology, health, science, design, and enterprise. We see the built-environment as an asset to maximize human-potential and envision environments that enhance us. Environments that are proactive, enabling us to live better by cultivating better lifestyle choices and by solving health problems before they are created. We have broadened the scope of environmental sustainability, extending the concept beyond the best of green technology to an integrated solution that addresses human sustainability.
Our mission is to build a better world. Join us.
For additional information, please visit us at www.delos.com