When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company – the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The content design role
Content designer, content strategist, UX writer... whatever title you're using, if you understand the power of words and have a strong user focus, we want you on our team.
You'll be part of the Experience team. You'll be accountable for every word that appears in your product area and be the go-to person for creating strategic UX copy that's compelling, easy to understand and concise.
On a day-to-day basis, you will
- Work with researchers, designers, product managers, content and marketing teams in creating and applying a strong and consistent tone of voice to all of our products
- Collaborate with the Experience team and product managers to create a framework and process for continuously improving and testing new content
- Put great copy at the heart of everything you design – in partnership with the rest of the Experience team
- Usability test your work and rapidly iterate to ensure we're always using the right language at the right time
- Work closely with engineers to understand how your content and designs can work in the best possible way for users
- Engage with translation agencies, translators and other content writers to audit and improve user interface copy across all our international markets
This role is for you if you
- Have experience in working with a multidisciplinary team to create outstanding content across a variety of platforms and products
- Have an understanding of usability and/or UX principles and how they work when applied to a range of products
- Have a track record in creating outstanding, impactful copy for user interfaces on web and mobile
- Are great at helping your colleagues understand the importance and value of great copy and can explain content design and processes clearly
And it's really for you if you
- Have experience creating tools and documentation to support the content design team, and helping to embed them in the day-to-day work
- Have experience in A/B testing content across a range of platforms
- Have experience working with conversational copy, such as chatbot writing, conversational design and/or script writing
- Enjoy mentoring budding content designers
It's probably not right for you if you
- Specialise in snappy ad lines and marketing style copy or you're a social media wordsmith – this is purely a product writing role
- Love the idea of working with CMS content management
- Prefer working with a structured briefing process
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we're always looking for new ideas and we're very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits And Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company's success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up's around.